"Junk yard dogs"

There's a huge difference between what you are describing and some of the dogs that we see who are chained 24/7 with no attention, love, shelter, exercise or stimulation, who sit in their own faeces and urine combined with mud and have no way of escaping it ponybabes.

We have placed loads of dogs rescued from a life of living on a chain in circumstances such as those you describe, and for the dogs that have grown up without experiencing living in a house, that is sometimes less stressful for them than trying to convert them into inside dogs.

Is your dog short of attention and food? Is he cold and wet constantly? If the answer to these is 'no' then you aren't in the group that is being described here, and that's a very good thing :)

I know what you mean, but i have recently had a very upsetting telling off by someone who believes because my dog lives at the stables and IS alone on an evening that he is unloved and not cared for. That is totally not the case, the reason he went to the yard was because he is VERY destructive in a house if left alone for anytime, i had 2 choices, to rehome, or move him up with the horses, yes he barks his head off if someone comes, but that is a good thing, no one should be there anyway!

He receives no attention from 8pm til 6am, all night on his own and some times i feel bad, however the other option of him being passed from pillar to post, was worse, as i know he would be, he is so naughty if left at home.But to be fair, im usually in bed by 9pm anyway so he would be alone all night even at home, i dont do doggies sleeping in my bed!

Which breeds?

GSD's for one were bred to herd and guard sheep from predators.

Much like a border collie - and you rarely see those guarding 'junkyards' or other such property.

Same as the Rottweiler - it is one of the oldest known herding breeds, and also would protect the stock from predators.

Other uses were also to pull carts.. But either way another breed not bred for the OP's purpose.

Look up the history of a bandog (half bull\terrier and half mastiff).

Theres nothing wrong with dogs working as guard dogs under correct supervison.