"Junk yard dogs"

On my daily travels, there are several "businesses" that use guard dogs, by this I mean a dog or dogs which literally live on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

They look in fairly poor condition and unclean, I doubt very much they are cared for other than being given food and water. Their coats are dirty and matted and I doubt they are ever taken for walks or receive much affection.

Does anyone know if this comes under any animal cruelty laws?

I feel sorry for the poor things with this weather especially, they don't have much shelter at all.

EDIT: The thread title is generic, the "businesses" aren't actually junkyards at all!

Edited by RootsBooster
Possible misunderstanding of title

Dogs kept in commercial premises and used as guard dogs are covered by the "Guard Dogs Act 1975, there are certain requirements under this legislation which is enforced by the local authority, all animals are covered by the Animal Welfare Act 2006 or the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1985 anyone committing an offence covered by this legislation could be prosecuted.

I remember a good few years back, when i used to go to one of the local pubs, i'd come out about 22.30 and go across the road for a chip butty, i'd sit on the local car lots wall and share it with their "guard" dog as i always felt sorry for him, during the day the dog was chained at the back of the yard away from customers.

My brother was interested in a car they had in and i took him down there, whilst they were chatting over the car i went and sat with the dog, you should have seen the look on the owners face when he came quickly over to warn me about the guard dog, but by then i was sat rubbing it's belly. :hihi:

you should have seen the look on the owners face when he came quickly over to warn me about the guard dog, but by then i was sat rubbing it's belly. :hihi:

Heheheheh :hihi::thumbsup:

Dogs kept in commercial premises and used as guard dogs are covered by the "Guard Dogs Act 1975, there are certain requirements under this legislation which is enforced by the local authority, all animals are covered by the Animal Welfare Act 2006 or the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1985 anyone committing an offence covered by this legislation could be prosecuted.

As with most gov.legislation papers, there seems to be a lot of room for vagueness on that one, still looking through it to try and decide what's what. Thanks for the info though

Heheheheh :hihi::thumbsup:

He was a beautiful GSD, and i actually asked if i could buy him but the owner wouldn't part.

He was quite well looked after too, though very hoarse due to constantly barking at people.

Very sadly the RSPCA generally don't take action against those who keep dogs in yards and in this country it's also not illegal to keep your dog on a chain, tragic as that is.

We get Shepherds that have followed people home dragging 20 feet of chain around their necks which are covered in sores where the chain has rubbed, but getting people to take action is so hard, even when you have firm evidence that the animal has been harmed.

Talking of GSD's, theres a young white GSD girlie in the pound.

She looks quite sad, bless her.

This thread makes me so mad, I remember one case where gsdr tried for months to get a shepherd out of a guard dog situation because the rspca would not act despite terrible conditions. He was rescued eventually and went to a forever home. No dog was bred to be outside in all weathers, tethered up, chucked food when the owner remembers, have no medical care etc etc need I go on. I think theplasterer has the wrong idea about guard dogs.

Where are these dogs may I ask, and has the rspca been informed, mind you it will probably be a waste of time informing them, they probably will not be able to act if the dog has something that remotely looks like shelter and any sort of drinking water even if it is covered in green scum.

thats what certain breeds were bred for. But they are becoming rare

Which breeds?

GSD's for one were bred to herd and guard sheep from predators.

Much like a border collie - and you rarely see those guarding 'junkyards' or other such property.

Same as the Rottweiler - it is one of the oldest known herding breeds, and also would protect the stock from predators.

Other uses were also to pull carts.. But either way another breed not bred for the OP's purpose.

Well im sorry but if thieving barstewards could keep their grubby hands to themselves and stop stealing people wouldnt feel the need for guard dogs! though i do agree, they should have decent conditions!

I myself, have a "guard dog" in the form if a very large rotty, he lives at my stables, he is in at night in a huge tack room, complete with heating, huge comfy beds, adlib clean water and access to food, toys and something to chew on...in the day he is out with me and my child, in the fields with the horses. I have been reported for my dog living up there, by some do gooder, what they dont realise is, this dog is very destructive in a house and cannot be left, i couldnt bare to pass him on, for him to end up god knows where, when future owners find out just how destructive he is in a house.

As it happens, he is very content living up at the yard, never destroys a thing, the only time he has a chain on, is for his own sake, for maybe 20 minutes, while we get horses ready to ride on the yard as i do not really want him getting his brains kicked in!

Not all guard dogs are not looked after :(