The Broadfield Ale House

Been going in for the last few weeks at Sunday teatime and it gets busier each time we go in. During the period 5-7 yesterday it was full of kids from babes in prams to about age 10. This was not in the eating area but on the other side. Be warned if this sort of thing is not what you want. It will probably get worse as the good weather arrives as there's a vast beer garden at the back

Never had a problem with kids and been in loads.

Never had a problem with kids and been in loads.

I think it depends on time of day - I tend to go in on a weekend daytime and that's when it's a bit wild on the child front. Probably at 10pm on a Friday or whatever it's a bit less so.

I have heard consistently good things about the food recently, everyone I've spoken to who has eaten there had praised it, so I'm planning on trying the food over the next few days

The food is good but the drinking side needs sorting,the chairs are so uncomfortable.

Been going in for the last few weeks at Sunday teatime and it gets busier each time we go in. During the period 5-7 yesterday it was full of kids from babes in prams to about age 10. This was not in the eating area but on the other side. Be warned if this sort of thing is not what you want. It will probably get worse as the good weather arrives as there's a vast beer garden at the back

Yes Dreb thats what I am thinking. It did seem very family full to me the day I was in there (Saturday) I guess cos the kids not at school. In fact I had an near episode where I was sat with my pint on a small table and a dad had his small boy caught by the legs and was standing swinging him around in a circle on the floor near me and the wains head almost caught my table and knocked over my pint of best !:rant: Still I shouldn't complain I guess that was just a one off episode and as someone said it gets better at night time when I might try it then :roll:

PS: Everyone is raving about the food so now I have found the way in I must try it some day .. erm evening :hihi:

I fear it is turning into a licensed nursery. Shame as it's a very good pub but I can well see me drinking somewhere more mature if the staff don't sort it.

I think it depends on time of day - I tend to go in on a weekend daytime and that's when it's a bit wild on the child front. Probably at 10pm on a Friday or whatever it's a bit less so.

I have heard consistently good things about the food recently, everyone I've spoken to who has eaten there had praised it, so I'm planning on trying the food over the next few days

I have been on a saturday afternoon and twice on a weekday, thurs at 4pm and coffee at lunch, never been a problem with kids. There was a couple in sat but they were sat in chairs

The pies are incredible - try the Pork, Chorizo and bean!

I concur, its a kind of spicy pork stew in a pie! Also my gf had the blackpudding sausages, they were fab and all.

Couldn`t they almost divide it down the middle and say one said is `family-friendly`?

Couldn`t they almost divide it down the middle and say one said is `family-friendly`?

I suppose parents could just take their kids to a more appropriate and suitable environment.

I was there during that time on Sunday and I didn't notice loads of kids. I was there to eat but I went around the other side and I didn't see many children there either.

I don't see the problem as long as they're well behaved and not running between tables.

Had the beef roast on Sunday and it was lovely, first time eating there. Will be back.

I don't usually bother posting on other sections of SF and stick to History & Expats as there's always somebody who wants to disagree with you on here. The kids issue at the Broadfield had been reported in this thread previously and all i was doing was stating the facts. What would be the point of me making it up? Personally I don't think it's an appropriate environment for children. I don't think most real ale pubs are. I think they've done a brilliant job on the refurb, the beer is good and the service is fine. It's just my preference and I speak as a father of 5.