The Broadfield Ale House

The unruly kid problem in the Broadfield may well be related to the proximity of the pub to NetherEdge and the type of people that live there.

NetherEdge is rather a Bohemian type of neighbourhood and attracts modernist, liberal types. It is no coincidence that there is a Montessori school not too far from there where many of their little cherubs will receive an education.

For those who don't know, Montessori education is characterized by an emphasis on independence, freedom within limits, and respect for a child’s natural psychological development.

I'm sure it has some benefits - but I think that children do need boundaries and do need discipline so this "let the child express themself" "let the child be a free spirit" philosophy is not one I subscribe to. Make the little buggers behave themselves - is more in line with my thinking.

But unfortunately, you see these parents who are quite happy to let their kids run riot in public and believe it to be perfectly natural and acceptable.

I must try out the Broadfield to see if my theory is true - but I suspect it is suffering from Bohemian NetherEdgians. I will braid my hair and put on my Indian cheesecloth outfit and go take a look.

LOL. You do miserable fantastically well - moaning at such length about a pub you've never been in :D

LOL. You do miserable fantastically well - moaning at such length about a pub you've never been in :D

Aww gee! Thanks! I can feel myself cheering up a notch now!:)

Don't think I was moaning about the pub though was I? I might have been having a little dig at liberal parents though. Let me read it again just to check. :huh:

been in a few times, great and about time.

They seem to have got it right with their other bars, so I have big expectations for this one. Looking forward to trying out some of the beers.

I think Mr DT just likes to broddle the warm smelly stuff when he gets bored, which seems to be most of the time ;) Forum life would be very dull without folk like him. Although having recently moved into Nether Edge myself, I am finding the lack of people wearing cheesecloth and unruly, Yakult-addicted children called Jocasta rather disappointing :( Derby Tup you have misled me! My neighbours are called things like Ron, Janice and Steve!! None of them braid their hair!!! I demand to be relocated to somewhere suitably Bohemian at your expense!!!!

Back on topic - I like the new Broadie, it's one of the few pubs where I'll spend an evening standing up rather than just going somewhere else if I can't get a seat :cool:

I think Nether Edge did once have a reputation for being bohemian - a bit like Meersbrook is now - but that was years ago. Maybe Derby Tup will be giving us humorous reasons to avoid the Hole in the Road next?

Anyway.. Glad the Broadfield is back on track

...They have turned around the dinge.

That may well be a very good point Mrs Sprack, but what does it mean?

had potted mackerel and tried the hummous on valentines day. Have to say the mackerel was ace, came with homemade rosemary bread which was delish. Nice bottles of wine too!

I think Mr DT just likes to broddle the warm smelly stuff when he gets bored, which seems to be most of the time ;) Forum life would be very dull without folk like him. Although having recently moved into Nether Edge myself, I am finding the lack of people wearing cheesecloth and unruly, Yakult-addicted children called Jocasta rather disappointing :( Derby Tup you have misled me! My neighbours are called things like Ron, Janice and Steve!! None of them braid their hair!!! I demand to be relocated to somewhere suitably Bohemian at your expense!!!!

Back on topic - I like the new Broadie, it's one of the few pubs where I'll spend an evening standing up rather than just going somewhere else if I can't get a seat :cool:

Ah, you've not been looking in the right places Mogster - you'll track plenty of them down on a Saturday afternoon circuit between Zed's, Homemade and Oxfam (that is, the ones who aren't allowing their kids to recreate Lord of The Flies in the Broadie)

I went in the Broadfield with my friend the other day and I think that its a really nice friendly pub.

I went in the Broadfield with my friend the other day and I think that its a really nice friendly pub.

You've got a great name for a beer:D

You've got a great name for a beer:D

Why, thankyou ukdobby. It is a really nice beer as it goes. :)