The Broadfield Ale House

33 posts in - plenty of people saying it's good - but no-one so far can actually tell us what beer they have on hand pump? Which kind of tells me that the comments so far are not from those who value their real ale - and therefore it probably doesn't have many/any real ales. If different, do let us know because I'd be attracted to the place only if it had good real ale on handpump.

I don't really do real ale so I'm not the best person to answer, but I'll try (forgive any lack of knowledge of the topic on my part); I was in there with someone who only likes what I would call mainstream bitter, such as Old Speckled Hen and the like, and he couldn't believe they had "all those hand pumps" and nothing he'd heard of, which I'd guess might mean they have slightly more unusual real ales? I know one friend was drinking something called Blitzen (?) and another was on Hillsbrough Pale Ale. There looked to be maybe 8 or 10 of them, but as I said, it's not my thing so probably not enough information for you

The Buxton Bitter wasn't bad!

They do beers from Buxton Brewery!!! :o

Right - I'm definitely in there then. That's my favourite.

A few years ago I would have struggled, I mean, really struggle to name a favourite beer or brewery. Then came Thornbridge, whose beers I think have been sensational because they've brought us something different - not just another range of 3.3%-4.5% bland ales - but really different tasty stuff - Russian Imperial Stouts, beers made with fruit, or pepper, or berries or chocolate or coffee, the fabulous Jaipur at 5.9%, a real replica of a traditional IPA.

But recently I tried the beers from Buxton brewery and I'd put them even ahead of Thornbridge. Buxton 'Wild boar' and 'Axe Edge' being firm favourites.

Thanks for the info btw!:thumbsup:

Thanks

Was going to try it, know not to bother now.

Wow! you are easily put off mate aren't you? Were you ever really going to try it? I doubt it.

I can't stand kids running around the place in a pub either - but I think its the PARENTS who should be responsible for intervening, not the pub staff necessarily.

I certainly wouldn't let it put me off though if all other stuff was positive, which based on early feedback, seems to be the case.

No, try The Alehouse! Your husband will be even happier and less trouble getting served!!!

The one on Fraser Road Jemson?

Agree with you 100% about it having good ale - but do you think it's "nice" in there?

I'm not sure my missus would consider that a night out. It's like being whipped back to 1968 in a time machine and finding out that you are the only ones there.

They do beers from Buxton Brewery!!! :o

Right - I'm definitely in there then. That's my favourite.

A few years ago I would have struggled, I mean, really struggle to name a favourite beer or brewery. Then came Thornbridge, whose beers I think have been sensational because they've brought us something different - not just another range of 3.3%-4.5% bland ales - but really different tasty stuff - Russian Imperial Stouts, beers made with fruit, or pepper, or berries or chocolate or coffee, the fabulous Jaipur at 5.9%, a real replica of a traditional IPA.

But recently I tried the beers from Buxton brewery and I'd put them even ahead of Thornbridge. Buxton 'Wild boar' and 'Axe Edge' being firm favourites.

Thanks for the info btw!:thumbsup:

Surely Sam Smiths make the greatest imperial stouts do they not?

The one on Fraser Road Jemson?

Agree with you 100% about it having good ale - but do you think it's "nice" in there?

I'm not sure my missus would consider that a night out. It's like being whipped back to 1968 in a time machine and finding out that you are the only ones there.

Not sure about 1968; before my time!

I do reckon though that, you get top ale on Fraser Road and, with the money you`d save compared to Broadfield, you could buy your OH a bunch of flowers from Sainsburys on the way to get bus! Nice!

Ale House does get very busy when there`s a band on or on Wednesdays for the legendary quiz.

Well...The Jury is out

Went last night - was 1.5 hours before we managed to get a seat. A long time to get served - because it was woefully understaffed for the volume of people - and that with the variety on offer including lots of people ordering food, having 3 people in front of you isn't like in another pub where you might be 5 minutes - they are choosing food, wines etc and as a result, it can be 15 minutes to get a pint!

After the first pint, they had run out of ALL bitters

A bouncer wandering around spoils the atmosphere - especially when he gets bored with no reason to be there so starts trying to glass-collect half a pint and half a measure of whisky. Not sure what his yellow i-pod holder is about.

The understaffing and the running out of beer may be down to opening teething troubles and the volume of Christmas trade. Although it's not like the owners shouldn't know what to expect.

Will see what its like after New Year

Finally got around to visiting this place on Monday.

Very nice inside and had a lovely pint of Brooklyn. Decent music and the food sounds good.

Seeing as I live two minutes away, I'll definitely be back soon.

I think the teething problems have gone now. Service is still a bit slow, and at certain times of day in can be a bit creche-like, but other than that it's a great pub, and (bonus points!) they let dogs in

Eaten in there a few times now. The food is brilliant value and the staff are really friendly and awesome. It's probably my fave place pub-wise at the mo.

Funny thing is they put £60.20 instead of £6.20 on my friends card- he he, his face was a treat!

I think the teething problems have gone now. Service is still a bit slow, and at certain times of day in can be a bit creche-like, but other than that it's a great pub, and (bonus points!) they let dogs in

So bonus points for dogs but that doesn't extend to kids?

I really like the place.