The Broadfield Ale House

You sound like my Dad! At the Wetherspoons festivals he always skipped past pages 1 as anything sub 4.odd% wasn't worth looking at!

Strength really shouldn't be so much of a factor in really good beer but sadly it is. There is still a bit of a fad for 'Small IPAs' going round - Stuff in the 2%s let alone 3s or 4s. And I've had a few - the best of which being Siren's QIPA - but to be honest they all taste a little sour to me. I'm guessing the hops overpower the limited sweetnhess avaiable from the low malts (but SCA will probably be able to give you a better explanation). Therefore my favourite beers always seem to be above 7% if I'm honest. Though there are a few notable exceptions in the 4.something range.

I like Simpleton and Half Mast plus some sours are low ABV. My preferred beers seem to fall in at 5.5 to 7.5%.

I like Simpleton and Half Mast plus some sours are low ABV. My preferred beers seem to fall in at 5.5 to 7.5%.

Yeah. That. :c)

Hows the Oak doing,would I have to book a table if I decide to eat here?

Hows the Oak doing,would I have to book a table if I decide to eat here?

Hi -

Assuming you mean The British Oak in Mosborough it's always best to book if you know when you're coming but of course you can just turn up!

Hope to see you soon.

Think you might be a fellow CAMRA member, or at least singing from the same hymn book (no hymn sheets in my day!)

I agree about the stronger beers. This is always the good thing about fests: you can start off in the foothills of 3.9 or thereabouts, and build up, and if you are really savvy, save the free token until the 6 or 7% at the end. These days I don't look at anything below 5%, usually. And that is why I sometimes graviate to cider, which usually starts in the high fives !

I'm not a CAMRA member mate. I don't go beer spotting or have a beard. I don't have a beer gut either, surprisingly. Sorry, I am not having a dig at anyone in CAMRA and I respect those folks and the fantastic job they have done in restoring real ale to our pubs.

I'm a suited and booted business chappie myself. I run 30 miles a week on average and work out in the gym. But, I love my real ale. So much so that I will not bother drinking beer at all if a pub doesn't have it.

At most, I would only sup 3 pints of an evening. I never fancy more than that. Its enough for me. But that means I am bigbon quality. I don't drink for the sake of it. If it isn't good Id rather have a glass of wine instead.

Since my last post on this topic I haven't been in the Broadfield since. Its a good pub but if they only serve 5% and below ales then Id rather not waste my time. I will go to the Sheffield Tap instead where I can usually get a good strong IPA.

This is one of the things that really annoys me about Sheffield actually. It all seems to revolve around price and not quality.

Some of us are willing to pay a bit more for quality and how sad that the Broadfield has abandoned their previous policy of having top quality strong real ales. I wont matter a jot to to their trade Im sure, but maybe I am not the only one?

Don't worry! The Broadfield still has stronger beers on handpump, but some of its keg beers recently have been outstanding. Some really good strong Arbor & Siren stuff.

Plus after/before you've had your fill you can pop next door into the Hop Hideout and load up on Siren/Buxton/Kernel/Rogue(!)/Wild Beer etc etc

Don't worry! The Broadfield still has stronger beers on handpump, but some of its keg beers recently have been outstanding. Some really good strong Arbor & Siren stuff.

Plus after/before you've had your fill you can pop next door into the Hop Hideout and load up on Siren/Buxton/Kernel/Rogue(!)/Wild Beer etc etc

That's good to know. Went to one of it's sister pubs last night - the Crown and Anchor in Barnsley. Really nice pub but the choice of ale was truly shocking. Ended up going into town instead. I had plans to visit the Broadfield next weekend and was starting to doubt whether to bother.

Yep, Broady is ok at the mo. They seem to have re-thought their beer-buying-budget. Last time I was in, they had Siren`s Shattered Dreams which is 9%+ and I enjoyed some strongish stuff on cask, the name of which escapes me. Food is still belting too. If you do visit, there`s now Picture House Social to visit nearby too.

Yep, Broady is ok at the mo. They seem to have re-thought their beer-buying-budget. Last time I was in, they had Siren`s Shattered Dreams which is 9%+ and I enjoyed some strongish stuff on cask, the name of which escapes me. Food is still belting too. If you do visit, there`s now Picture House Social to visit nearby too.

Well as you will know from manyh of my previous posts on here... with Siren - if they serve it, I will come! But the Picture House thingy - was is das? And why do I need to go?

I havn't been there since they stopped having the rock bands on, on friday nights. If I want a real ale pub I use The Sheaf View,but I don't know if it's my taste buds over the years,or what,but a plnt just never seems to be as good as it was in the 60s.

I havn't been there since they stopped having the rock bands on, on friday nights. If I want a real ale pub I use The Sheaf View,but I don't know if it's my taste buds over the years,or what,but a plnt just never seems to be as good as it was in the 60s.

I never drank beer (or indeed anything!) in the '60s but I honestly can't believe a pint would have been better then... The ingredients weren't as good for a start... And by the 60s most beer was made in big factories

IMO beer has never been better than it is now, hopefully it will keep getting better!

I never drank beer (or indeed anything!) in the '60s but I honestly can't believe a pint would have been better then... The ingredients weren't as good for a start... And by the 60s most beer was made in big factories

IMO beer has never been better than it is now, hopefully it will keep getting better!

As I say,it could just be my taste buds.