The Broadfield Ale House

Yes, it seems to be a classic Sheffield pub/restaurant owner strategy, start high quality then start cutting corners.

It never ever works!

It's just insulting the customers really.

As soon as the quality drops people stop frequenting in the same numbers.

I hope it doesn't happen to the Broadfield (the former not the latter, if they do start cutting corners I'll stop going). Outside of the City Centre its the best pub in Sheffield.

Completely agree. I like the entire chain. Even the one in Barnsley is good.

Hope they open one near Bawtry or Doncaster where I'm moving to. I will really miss the Broadfield and think one would do well out there. It's Best pub in Sheffield.

I agree it is the best pub in Sheffield.

Not just good beer but good service clean and well maintained too,something a lot of our pubs could learn from,some don't even get the basics right like being clean with tables full of dirty glasses while staff chat behind the bar and they wonder why people don't go in.

And good snap,looking forward to trying the British Oak when I'm next back in the UK,roll on November.

Latest I`ve been told is that I may have been incorrect with my initial concerns. They DO have some `top end` ales coming soon so one to watch with interest.....

Latest I`ve been told is that I may have been incorrect with my initial concerns. They DO have some `top end` ales coming soon so one to watch with interest.....

Yup - that's what the barman told me at the weekend too :c)

Yup - that's what the barman told me at the weekend too :c)

It seems that they`ve lost a couple of staff recently. They`ve always been pretty good too so hope they can maintain that.

I found this thread really interesting, I will tell you why...

I love my strong beers, especially the IPA variety, must be minimum 5% but preferably stronger.

The Broadfield pub has been a fantastic source of some really good, strong beers, such as the stuff from Ilkley brewery, Black Iris, SWB and several more. To be able to get a 6% IPA on handpull, not keg, is a rarity in most pubs and the Broadfield invariably had something on almost every week. It started to become my first choice of real ale pubs, for that reason alone.

But, over the past few months when I've been in there, they just seem to have had a change of policy. It is rare now that they have anything much above 5%, except perhaps for the occasional keg, which isn't my preference. What on earth has happened to those fantastic beers that I mention?

It sounds like, from what some of you are saying, that they've decided to limit the same? If so, what a terrible shame. I have reduced the frequency of my visits over the past few months because the Broadfield is not exactly "local" for me, and the past few times I've been in there I've been disappointed that they haven't had the strong beers on handpull.

I suppose most folks aren't bothered too much what they drink, but for those of us who do like these rare, strong beers, The Broadfield was, but no longer is, a haven.

I found this thread really interesting, I will tell you why...

I love my strong beers, especially the IPA variety, must be minimum 5% but preferably stronger.

The Broadfield pub has been a fantastic source of some really good, strong beers, such as the stuff from Ilkley brewery, Black Iris, SWB and several more. To be able to get a 6% IPA on handpull, not keg, is a rarity in most pubs and the Broadfield invariably had something on almost every week. It started to become my first choice of real ale pubs, for that reason alone.

But, over the past few months when I've been in there, they just seem to have had a change of policy. It is rare now that they have anything much above 5%, except perhaps for the occasional keg, which isn't my preference. What on earth has happened to those fantastic beers that I mention?

It sounds like, from what some of you are saying, that they've decided to limit the same? If so, what a terrible shame. I have reduced the frequency of my visits over the past few months because the Broadfield is not exactly "local" for me, and the past few times I've been in there I've been disappointed that they haven't had the strong beers on handpull.

I suppose most folks aren't bothered too much what they drink, but for those of us who do like these rare, strong beers, The Broadfield was, but no longer is, a haven.

Think you might be a fellow CAMRA member, or at least singing from the same hymn book (no hymn sheets in my day!)

I agree about the stronger beers. This is always the good thing about fests: you can start off in the foothills of 3.9 or thereabouts, and build up, and if you are really savvy, save the free token until the 6 or 7% at the end. These days I don't look at anything below 5%, usually. And that is why I sometimes graviate to cider, which usually starts in the high fives !

Think you might be a fellow CAMRA member, or at least singing from the same hymn book (no hymn sheets in my day!)

I agree about the stronger beers. This is always the good thing about fests: you can start off in the foothills of 3.9 or thereabouts, and build up, and if you are really savvy, save the free token until the 6 or 7% at the end. These days I don't look at anything below 5%, usually. And that is why I sometimes graviate to cider, which usually starts in the high fives !

You sound like my Dad! At the Wetherspoons festivals he always skipped past pages 1 as anything sub 4.odd% wasn't worth looking at!

Strength really shouldn't be so much of a factor in really good beer but sadly it is. There is still a bit of a fad for 'Small IPAs' going round - Stuff in the 2%s let alone 3s or 4s. And I've had a few - the best of which being Siren's QIPA - but to be honest they all taste a little sour to me. I'm guessing the hops overpower the limited sweetnhess avaiable from the low malts (but SCA will probably be able to give you a better explanation). Therefore my favourite beers always seem to be above 7% if I'm honest. Though there are a few notable exceptions in the 4.something range.

Yes I agree the Broadfield is great however I have one niggle which is pretty annoying, especially at busy weekend times ....

In spite of it always being well stocked with bar men (and women!) if someone orders one of those finicky expensive cocktails it can take one barman up to 10 mins or more to make, time when he could have served 3 other punters asking for "normal" pints, surely this is very wasteful of time and losing them business as some people will walk away elsewhere?

Why not do one of a) have a dedicated cocktail area or b) a dedicated cocktail barman or c) both ! so that us more ordinary plebs who came there for good beer, real ales or lager can get served pronto and not feel so disgruntled at the slow bar service or the "hooray henrys" who order these things - isn't that what division street is for ;-) ? !! :rant: