The Broadfield Ale House

They have indeed bought the British Oak in Mosborough and are refurbishing it and converting it into a Broadfield style venue. Check them out on Twitter @britishoakshef. They expect to open 26th March.

To be fair Kane Yeardley has clearly nailed his market in Sheffield.

To be fair Kane Yeardley has clearly nailed his market in Sheffield.

An example that Sheffield folk WILL pay more if the quality is there.

Not been in there since it did the Friday night rock groups.

An example that Sheffield folk WILL pay more if the quality is there.

They will pay more if they can afford it. I walk past here, and places in town like All Bar One, and on a Monday lunch time they are always full. I do wonder where the recession is, sometimes....

Haven't been in the Broadfield for over 25 years. Used to go in two or three times a week back in the 60s as it was a mates local.

Played football for the Broadfield football team in the Sunday Regional league for a few seasons.

They used to have live music on, which sometimes featured a Jamaican steel band.

I recall on one occasion, during a break in the set, the leader of the band - who was smartly dressed in what looked like a Barney Goodman suit - took out an orange, reached into his pocket, removed a cut throat razor, flicked it open and proceeded to peel the orange.

Judging from previous comments I take it that the ambience has altered somewhat?

Must try it some time.

Haven't been in the Broadfield for over 25 years. Used to go in two or three times a week back in the 60s as it was a mates local.

Played football for the Broadfield football team in the Sunday Regional league for a few seasons.

They used to have live music on, which sometimes featured a Jamaican steel band.

I recall on one occasion, during a break in the set, the leader of the band - who was smartly dressed in what looked like a Barney Goodman suit - took out an orange, reached into his pocket, removed a cut throat razor, flicked it open and proceeded to peel the orange.

Judging from previous comments I take it that the ambience has altered somewhat?

Must try it some time.

Its a million time better than that now but alas I do miss the live music :)

Great pub, dog friendly, good beer, nice atmosphere and fantastic pies. What is not to like. Might take my dog in for a swift one tomorrow.

Made my first visit to the revamped Broadfield pub yesterday, and thumbs up from me.

Fine selection of ales, and the pie and chips was excellent.

Heard rumours about their beer buying strategy that might see their range being `stream-lined`. Shame.

Heard rumours about their beer buying strategy that might see their range being `stream-lined`. Shame.

Seems like the way of most bars unfortunately. They build up a reputation and then suddenly think they can limit their price per keg as they expect people will still come anyway. Sheffield Tap was first to fall from grace this way and has still not recovered. But they probably get the uninitiated in thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread so they probably think it makes good business sense.

Would love a few more bars in town where they just offered quality, irrespective of the price. Like Craft Beer Co in London or Port Street in Mancs. I guess we have the Thornbridge bars which aren't bad, but realistically there is only Brewdog which really adheres to this formula.

Seems like the way of most bars unfortunately. They build up a reputation and then suddenly think they can limit their price per keg as they expect people will still come anyway. Sheffield Tap was first to fall from grace this way and has still not recovered. But they probably get the uninitiated in thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread so they probably think it makes good business sense.

Would love a few more bars in town where they just offered quality, irrespective of the price. Like Craft Beer Co in London or Port Street in Mancs. I guess we have the Thornbridge bars which aren't bad, but realistically there is only Brewdog which really adheres to this formula.

Yes, it seems to be a classic Sheffield pub/restaurant owner strategy, start high quality then start cutting corners.

It never ever works!

It's just insulting the customers really.

As soon as the quality drops people stop frequenting in the same numbers.

I hope it doesn't happen to the Broadfield (the former not the latter, if they do start cutting corners I'll stop going). Outside of the City Centre its the best pub in Sheffield.