The Broadfield Ale House

Hmmm... Children in a place selling 8.5% beer on draught and circa 100 whiskies.

Hmm, what about children in the chemist's then?

Responsible parenting in action!

I used to work in a really busy pub. I cannot recall the number of accidents I had to log caused by unsupervised kids.

I asked at the bar before even allowing the kids in, they said it was fine, and that the kids were welcome. Which is good enough for me. An utter stranger on the internet, opining on my parenting skills or apparent lack of them - all based on reading a few lines posted on a forum - isn't.

Hmm, what about children in the chemist's then?

Children in the chemist's what?

On a serious note, unless it's a methadone dispensing chemists I don't get the comparison...

Children in the chemist's what?

On a serious note, unless it's a methadone dispensing chemists I don't get the comparison...

Well, you wrote:

Hmmm... Children in a place selling 8.5% beer on draught and circa 100 whiskies.

What I should have written for absolute clarity:

Hmmm... Children in a place selling 100% alcohol and circa 50 cough mixtures.

Or to put it another way - what bearing does the strength of the beer or the number of whiskies on sale have on whether taking children to the pub amounts to good parenting?

And indeed, what bearing does it have that the pub sells alcohol? Unless you think they will sell it to young children.

I really don't see the problem with children in the pub as long as they are being watched. I don't have kids but there are plenty in my family-and even children of the "best" parents have tantrums, meltdowns and are badly behaved sometimes-kids try limits all the time-I cannot believe how judgmental people on here are!

It's not kids who are the problem, it's idiotic parents who can't be arsed to make them behave themselves.

As a parent of two who goes in the Broadfield occasionally with my littluns, I don't like kids (or indeed adults) behaving poorly either.

It's not kids who are the problem, it's idiotic parents who can't be arsed to make them behave themselves.

As a parent of two who goes in the Broadfield occasionally with my littluns, I don't like kids (or indeed adults) behaving poorly either.

I went on Saturday with the wife. There were kids in, but all fairly well behaved.

BUT....one parent asked a group of lads to watch their language. Firstly it's a pub, which I think is an adult environment. Rightly or wrongly there is going to be "adult" language and adult conversations. Secondly I was sat nearer to them and they weren't being really foul mouthed or in the slightest bit loud/rowdy.

I don't think it's a great place to take children.

Well I did like my first visit in spite of mild irritations with a child the last time - so I decided to pop in there again on Saturday to sample another of their continental beers and meet my friend from the Byron who also decided to sample it for the first time.

Things were going great guns for a while. Not too long to be served and we sat over in one of the new "snugs" we thought well away from the eating area and all the posh parents with their little bundles of joy.

We decided to do something I had not done in years and take out a domino set and start playing - nothing like a bit of old time pub games I was thinking.

Shortly into our 2nd game and a little devil of a boy about 7 comes over with mean venom in his eyes and with one arm swipes all the dominoes off the table onto the floor. Well you can imagine what me and my friend said to the little gurrier. So off he goes wailing to his mother who was engrossed in her vegetarian dish. Well she got up and came over - again with venom in her contorted face - and told us in no uncertain terms not to swear at her little "boy" and who did we think we were and where did we think we were anyway - a bookies ??!! ... we got such a shock .. we gathered our dominoes, left our pints and proceeded up to the Byron so that we could play in a child-free safely "adult" space. I'm sure we were just unlucky and I will try the Broadfield again some time but on a week night next time !

You've made that up haven't you?

Whilst I can't possibly comment on whether Roger123W has made up his story, I've seen a child in the Broadfield running in and out of the booths occupied by other people, banging its hands on their tables, yelling and shouting. There was no parental intervention that I saw. Fair enough that doesn't constitute a contravention of the Geneva Convention, but it's pretty irritating unless you'd expected to be spending your money sitting in a creche.

Once again, tact & diplomacy goes out the window when the anonymity of a forum kicks in. Would you have said that to someone's face? I'd kind of forgotten why I prefer real life, thanks for the reminder... :|

As for kids in pubs - my folks brought me up to be seen & not heard until I was old enough to buy a round. In my opinion they had the right idea ;)

As for kids in pubs - my folks brought me up to be seen & not heard until I was old enough to buy a round. In my opinion they had the right idea ;)

This.

And, as I've said before, I speak as a parent who takes my children into pubs.

What I'm concerned about is that irresponsible parents such as those described end up making more responsible ones being tarred with the same brush.

Two things. Firstly, re the doms - click, click, clack, slam - almost as annoying as an errant child.

Secondly - who causes more bother in pubs, generally? Kids or adults?

Anyway, if people are having poor experiences in the pub due to kids, the parents are mainly to blame but not solely. The staff need to intervene and make it very clear that running about, shouting, pestering, etc. won't be tolerated. In saying that, I haven't seen much of it.