The Broadfield Ale House

So bonus points for dogs but that doesn't extend to kids?

I really like the place.

When I take my dogs to the pub they are on a lead, muzzled and sit quietly under the table. I'd welcome kids in pubs if the same arrangements were applied :)

£6.25 for a huge portion of garlic roast chicken, roast med veg and roasties, £6.75 for proper sausages with mash and lashings of homemade gravy!...the deserts sound mega too, but to be honest I'm always too full to try one.

'Man-sized portions at modest prices' is how one would describe it (should really be getting commission for this).

Sadly after several visits I can only conclude that the staff are far more interested in chatting to people and impressing their trendy mates on the other side of the bar, than serving actual customers.

However, the food is great and the selection of drinks is excellent, less than 3 quid for a well kept pint of ale is fine by me

I thought the food selection was a bit poor. Lots of pies and sausages but very little else. They even stop serving the sandwiches at 5pm leaving you with either half a chicken, fish and chips or one of the pies / sausages. I had a pie with chips and mushy peas. It was quite nice but it was hard work getting through it, was all a bit dry. Service was good but it was only 6pm and it was not that busy.

Can't say I would be in any rush to return unless they varied the menu a bit.

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

When I take my dogs to the pub they are on a lead, muzzled and sit quietly under the table. I'd welcome kids in pubs if the same arrangements were applied :)

As it's Friday, I will react to the smiley face rather than the words :cool:

Mine aren't too bad (I don't think), but I do know what you mean sometimes.

Popped in last weekend, Sunday afternoon, for a quite sup and look around.

The 'foodie' side was very busy even late afternoon. Nicely done interior.

Quite a good selection... 9 hand pumps with various cask bitters on. One or two interesting options on the continental beers front, with Bellevue Kriek (as at the Sheaf View) and Karmeliet.

Prices a bit steep though for beer, the Karmeliet at £7.00 a pint must be the most expensive tap beer in Sheffield! The least they could do if going to overcharge to that extent is to serve it in the correct glassware (and in a legal sized glass!) Being served a half in another brand's 300ml marked glass and then flatly being refused a top-up after it had been measured in an ordinary half glass and then tipped into the other glass... not very impressive.

Seems obvious they are going for the Nether Edge bistro pub market... which is understandable, but it is a pub after all... if they have made the effort to get a good range of beers and a nice sociable pub interior decor, then it's daft not to ensure the service to go with it is there and the pricing is right to ensure it's not just busy at weekend meal times.

Will no doubt be back, but other pubs are further up the pecking order still, despite being a longer walk!

Mike

Definitely needs fewer kids. Really not a fan of unaccompanied kids wandering around a pub. Makes me question the parenting somewhat.

Definitely needs fewer kids. Really not a fan of unaccompanied kids wandering around a pub. Makes me question the parenting somewhat.

If the same amount of kids were present but sat down with their parents and behaving themselves, would that be OK?

If the same amount of kids were present but sat down with their parents and behaving themselves, would that be OK?

I know you didn't ask me the question, but if I can answer from my perspective, yes it would improve things (although I've noticed they can still make a shedload of noise when they are sitting down - that screeching thing? I don't go to the pub get a headache). However, unfortunately the Broadie seems to have a number of punters who think that kids running loose all over the place is appropriate. It's a real shame because without the excessive children and slow service the pub would be nigh on perfect

I lived on Sheldon Road years ago and remember the Broadie as a bit of a dump. Certainly isn't that now.....but beware of popping in for a quick pint before the bus (as I did tonight). It's obviously going for foodies and pseudo-trendies (how far have they all travelled?) Two staff on, one doing coffees and one doing cocktails. How about having someone who just pulls pints? Clientele were all impossibly beautiful, mind; so it was worth the wait (for the next bus but one).

Personally, I'd prefer no kids in pubs full stop. But if they must be there then sitting quietly with their parents seems the best place for them.

I know you didn't ask me the question, but if I can answer from my perspective, yes it would improve things (although I've noticed they can still make a shedload of noise when they are sitting down - that screeching thing? I don't go to the pub get a headache). However, unfortunately the Broadie seems to have a number of punters who think that kids running loose all over the place is appropriate. It's a real shame because without the excessive children and slow service the pub would be nigh on perfect

As a parent of a couple of young uns myself (and - though I might be very wrong - I suspect you and brianthedog aren't or, if so, it was a long time ago) I do agree with you to a certain extent. If parents want to let their kids run around, go to a play area, not a pub. Or, even better, a pub with a play area. The Stag is brilliant in the summer.

Kids screech, dogs bark. Parents and owners must work on reducing this when out in public :)

I suppose it's up to the landlord or pub group, really. A couple of miles up the road is the Robin Hood - they don't let littluns in. It also happens to be a dreadful, corporate pub and I wouldn't go in there even if I didn't have the kids.