Black bins to go fortnightly?

Can't wait to have nappies full of baby crap festering for two weeks in the summer. That'll smell lovely if we have a hot one!

Can't wait to have nappies full of baby crap festering for two weeks in the summer. That'll smell lovely if we have a hot one!

You put human faeces in the bin?

How disgusting are you? Environmental Health should be paying you a visit.

You put human faeces in the bin?

How disgusting are you? Environmental Health should be paying you a visit.

where should he put soiled nappies then?

Our black bin is currently rarely more than half full, but the green bin (which is larger than the black bin) is filled fortnightly in summer. Now the green bin collection is being removed all the garden waste will have to go in the black bin - so that one is now likely to be filled weekly instead.

Our black bin is currently rarely more than half full, but the green bin (which is larger than the black bin) is filled fortnightly in summer. Now the green bin collection is being removed all the garden waste will have to go in the black bin - so that one is now likely to be filled weekly instead.

The green bins are a fairly recent innovation so what did people do before they had a green bin or the green sacks? If a compost heap in a corner of the garden just can't be stomached and all the greenery goes into the black bin then there's not going to be room enough for all the household rubbish if the bins go to a fortnightly collection. So if I was going to be in this situation then I think I'd prefer to move a couple of sacks of garden refuse in the car to the tip rather than a couple of sacks of possibly smelly household refuse.

I currently have weekly collections of the black bin and would prefer to stay as such. If I only have a half full bin one week, then I can choose whether or not to put it out. Over the Christmas period, you don't get a choice if your usual day happens to fall on the bank holiday, you have to have a fortnightly collection and you tend to have more rubbish if you have had people staying during the Xmas period. And yes I do recycle, apart from garden waste as I've never had the luxury of a green bin or green sack collection. What concerns me more is the 30 - 40 job losses. Ok voluntary retirement first, but how many refuse collectors do you see nearing retirement age. It will be the next lot down, men in their 50's or late 40's who will find it increasingly difficult to regain employment. I doubt the younger end will volunteer and who would blame them in this economic climate. But hey, what the eck a few more bob will be saved. I pay council tax to include the refuse collection, will I then be entitled to a slight refund for a reduction of services......I think not!

My black bin is due to be emptied tomorrow and there are two carrier bags of rubbish in it.

It's emptied fortnightly.

The recycle bin is full...collected weekly.

I don't understand the amount of rubbish some people create.

The green bins are a fairly recent innovation so what did people do before they had a green bin or the green sacks?

It went in the black bin.

I do recycle when the provision is there - the blue bin gets all the bottles and cans, the blue box gets all the paper and cardboard. I don't see why I should have to take my rubbish to the tip (bulky items such as furniture excepted, of course) when I pay the council to remove it - or rather the council makes me pay them to remove it.

It isn't as though the coucil are "forced" to do this, it is their choice. When the Lib Dems ran the council they weren't planning to slash bin collections, and they had the same budget contraints.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quote tags

The amount of rubbish we create fluctuates vastly. When the kids come home from uni we notice the difference. Regardless of how much we tried to recycle, the little paper bucket is next to useless, and the plastics bin does not take all the plastic waste we create. Four packs of everything come shrink wrapped, ham from supermarkets comes in plastic packets, etc. I cant use a greengrocer as living in supermarket triangle has seen all the little shops disappear.

I have a council owned lime tree outside my house, these drop pollen then seeds, then leaves and then twigs in a quantity that when combined with the grass cuttings from their verge (which they never cut either) plus my own was well over the six bag limit. (Last week my black bin, was two bags of household rubbish and three quarters tree sticks)

I really can not face trundling up to the skip every week, I have other stuff to do, so what they dont collect will realistically go in the black bin and if their trees and verge drop then I shall leave it where it falls and request a road sweep from street force.