Is £15,500 a decent salary?

Nope. Didn't say they did. They have the IT headquarters and quite a few other teams in Sheffield though, far more people than they have working in branches. The average IT salary with them is probably somewhere around 35k. One of the largest employers in Sheffield, how many bank branches employing counter staff did you think that was?

Maybe you should check what a nurse gets paid... And a doctor.

Two large organisations in the city, between them the universities are one of the largest employers in Sheffield. You might have noticed them when walking about the city centre, ring any bells?

I don't think how long it takes to qualify is relevent, the issue is whether there are jobs on offer (many of them) at a salary above 16k. Lecturers get paid more than double that, research associates and research assistants get paid more than that, even Phd students might be getting that much (and it's tax free for them).

Can we all just make some bits up?

Except that they're backed up by data, did you bother to follow the links?

It's a fact that these are some of the largest employers in Sheffield and that the average salary they pay is well above the amount being discussed. There is no argument to be made, that's just the way it is, sorry that happens to contradict your opinion.

I think I've pretty much proven that there are large employers in Sheffield paying more than 16k basic, job done.

Are they, any evidence to support that? (Look at that, we're back at evidence based argument again).

"the average IT salary with them is probably" hmmmm, do you actually know anybody that works at HSBC or are you just quoting info from industry magazines? As an ex employee of HSBC I can safely say that £27k is not the standard rate of pay in Sheffield, it's very much above it even taking into consideration the IT depts etc.

Bless you though, quoting all these figures etc is obviously keeping you happy.

people should be paid the same min amount of £8000 and a max of £12.000

How would you decide which jobs would be worth £8,000 and £12,000?

£4,000 is not much insentive to have to choose between being a Road sweeper or a Brain surgen! - (no offence to road sweepers intended.)

In the current climate you're lucky to be in work!!

Absolutely spot on mate!

Just because you are currently earning 15k doesn't mean you'll always earn 15k for the rest of your life. That's how career moves up so earning 15k in this day and age shouldn't be something anyone should look down upon IMO.

"the average IT salary with them is probably" hmmmm, do you actually know anybody that works at HSBC or are you just quoting info from industry magazines? As an ex employee of HSBC I can safely say that £27k is not the standard rate of pay in Sheffield, it's very much above it even taking into consideration the IT depts etc.

As it happens I've worked in Griffin house and through coincidence a group of friends work for HSBC as well, so yes, I know a good number of people who work for HSBC.

I was offered a graduate entry level job a decade ago also a GH in the IT department and the starting salary was about 20k.

I have no difficulty believing that 27k is the average.

Bless you though, assuming that only your anecdote matters.

It depends on your outgoings - make a list of eveything you spend on a monthly basis and weigh up if your income will give you enough as a couple to pay everything. I guess you may also need to look at if you're wanting to save a certain amount a month as well. I was living happily off this kind of level a few years back but with inflation etc. it does get difficult sometimes. However, a job is a job and I certainly wouldn't sniff at it!

The £500m bonus for the boss skews the average.

The £500m bonus for the boss skews the average.

I think it's about £6million this year, but he doesn't work in Sheffield.