Is £15,500 a decent salary?

Sheffield is rarely listed in these things. It may be the UK's 5th biggest city (population) but it's pretty much inconsequential to anyone outside of it

That is a survey carried out of 135 thousand people ………….. not exactly what you call an average is it. :hihi:

Lies damned lies and statistics.

Edited by Grandad.Malky

That is a survey carried out of 135 thousand people ………….. not exactly what you call an average is it. :hihi:

It's what you'd call a statistically significant sample. How do you think an average is calculated, actually ask every single person in the city?

Presumably you don't think it's possible to say what the average is since no survey of every person in the city has taken place...

It fits within all the averages I've ever seen of salary in the North of England. It's not that surprising. £25,000 is hardly going to buy you a Caribbean Villa

It fits within all the averages I've ever seen of salary in the North of England. It's not that surprising. £25,000 is hardly going to buy you a Caribbean Villa

If you are happy of a sample size of 135.000 to represent over ½ a million people so be it,

I suppose next you are going to tell me that all the population aren’t working ………. Drrrrrrrrrrr yes I worked that one out.

It's over a quarter of them! From a sample size of one I can with a confidence of 99% say that you understand nothing about statistics.

It's over a quarter of them! From a sample size of one I can with a confidence of 99% say that you understand nothing about statistics.

Its nothing of the sort because Sheffield wasn’t even on the list ……… I was speaking figuratively ………. I can say 100% you know nothing about statistics.

Here is Sheffield list …….. sample size 1,127 :hihi:

Edited by Grandad.Malky

You'd be wrong, I've got an A level that says so.

It's hardly my fault if you speak figuratively but appear to be speaking factually.

What's figurative about this?

If you are happy of a sample size of 135.000 to represent over ½ a million people so be it,

To help you out

fig·ur·a·tive/ˈfigyərətiv/

Adjective:

Departing from a literal use of words; metaphorical.

Was there supposed to be a metaphor or none literal interpretation of you stating the sample size and population size?

I do know about statistics, and one thing is certain. You can pretty much use them to say whatever your point of view is. They 'can' tell lies.

One person interviewed earns 120k and the next 50 or so earn minimum wages, what going to be the average? Hugely skewed..that's what! I think it's extremely unlikely that yer average Sheffielder earns 25k

You'd be wrong, I've got an A level ?

You are spoiling my image of you , I thought you of a much higher calibre that that ….. A levels :hihi: ………. If you go back to my edited post I have found the stat you want.

I Hugely skewed..that's what! I think it's extremely unlikely that yer average Sheffielder earns 25k

Thank you Mr Morris, I worked that out without any A levels …….. I have got an HNC if that’s any good. :D

Thank you Mr Morris, I worked that out without any A levels …….. I have got an HNC if that’s any good. :D

It's a pleasure Grandad :) Well every bit of 'paper' counts.

Over the years, it's really irked me, when the government come out with these average earnings survey. I don't think I've ever earnt what they say is the average!

You are spoiling my image of you , I thought you of a much higher calibre that that ….. A levels :hihi: ………. If you go back to my edited post I have found the stat you want.

I don't have a degree in statistics if that's what you were hoping. My maths stopped at getting two A levels in it. Sorry if that disappoints you, my degree is in something else.