First South Yorkshire putting fares up from 2nd January 2012!!

In areas where Stagecoach have the large majority of services, you'll find exactly the reverse opinion.

Correct, I can't stand Stagecoach.

I live just over the border these days and we don't have First buses, we just have Stagecoach. Unfortunately where I live is also on the border of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and the prices on our route are astronomical. If I want to travel to the next town in any direction I get a return priced at between £4.60 and £5 depending which town I travel to, a normal dayrider is cheaper except that Stagecoach can't decide what region I live in being on the border so I can't have one of those unless i'm getting the bus to the other end of the village. If I want a dayrider I have to pay £5.20 for one which enables me to travel to more than one county. When I have to take my 2 children with me I then have to pay that price again because a child's fare is half of an adult's fare so it ends up costing me between £9.20 and £10 for a 10 minute bus journey.

Personally I find the drivers are not polite at all, they don't wait if they see someone running for the bus and they don't seem to care about their passengers. Maybe that's because we have no other bus company to take our custom to so they think they can treat people as they like.

I think i'd also take your prices over ours any day.

car keys- check

diesel-check

direct route to work when i want to go- check :-)

Not having to sit next to stinky/creepy/scary/chav people -check :hihi:

Correct, I can't stand Stagecoach.

I live just over the border these days and we don't have First buses, we just have Stagecoach. Unfortunately where I live is also on the border of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and the prices on our route are astronomical. If I want to travel to the next town in any direction I get a return priced at between £4.60 and £5 depending which town I travel to, a normal dayrider is cheaper except that Stagecoach can't decide what region I live in being on the border so I can't have one of those unless i'm getting the bus to the other end of the village. If I want a dayrider I have to pay £5.20 for one which enables me to travel to more than one county. When I have to take my 2 children with me I then have to pay that price again because a child's fare is half of an adult's fare so it ends up costing me between £9.20 and £10 for a 10 minute bus journey.

Personally I find the drivers are not polite at all, they don't wait if they see someone running for the bus and they don't seem to care about their passengers. Maybe that's because we have no other bus company to take our custom to so they think they can treat people as they like.

I think i'd also take your prices over ours any day.

Sounds just like First when they have 'monopoly' in an area don't you think? :hihi:

Noticed the Star covering the annual fare change on the railways and it reminded me of the situation in S17 for journeys from Dore/Bradway area into Sheffield

Single ticket...

on the train - increased from £1.80 to £1.90

on First bus 97/98 or 25A - increased from £2.40 to £2.50

on Stagecoach bus 25 - remains at £1.90

I agree, having grown up in Bedfordshire (stagecoach only during the 90's, not sure now as i've been here since '99) Stagecoach ran a hopeless service with little competition, spiralling prices and cuts in service a regularity. It seems that when any company becomes a monopoly they become uninterested in good customer service and fair pricing (just look at successive goverments as a good example, lol)

Guest busdriver1
For now! I remember watching a programme about Stagecoach on TV a few years ago. Their tactic in new areas is to undercut local companies until they go out of business and then to hike fairs to unbelievable levels once the competition has been crushed.

A practice they still employ, here in Sheffield for example. Trouble is the tightarses here are too dim to realise it.

Guest busdriver1
That's the reason why fares are going up. Bus companies are to lose money on fuel rebate so they have more money to pay for the fuel meaning less profits. And like it has been mentioned, everything has been effected by inflation.

It's the same for all operators so after the new year don't be suprised when other operators follow suit, it will be hard for smaller independants.

There hasn't been a First Rotherham/Sheffield fare increase for nearly two years; I fail to see why people are moaning or is it just that this forum is full of idiots?[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head there

That's the reason why fares are going up. Bus companies are to lose money on fuel rebate so they have more money to pay for the fuel meaning less profits. And like it has been mentioned, everything has been effected by inflation.

It's the same for all operators so after the new year don't be suprised when other operators follow suit, it will be hard for smaller independants.

There hasn't been a First Rotherham/Sheffield fare increase for nearly two years; I fail to see why people are moaning or is it just that this forum is full of idiots?[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head there

hold on bus driver how many increases were there before 4 in a year so its acceptable to have a price difference of 40 -50p for same journey ?

A practice they still employ, here in Sheffield for example. Trouble is the tightarses here are too dim to realise it.

i can't see stagecoach forcing first out of sheffield so why shouldn't people pick the service with the cheaper fares? i'd say it makes sense, i know i'd choose the cheapest over the most expensive. wherever a company has the monopoly they will have high prices, no bus company can say they are better than the other.

hold on bus driver how many increases were there before 4 in a year so its acceptable to have a price difference of 40 -50p for same journey ?

the other price increases don't count i guess. i know if i had to pay for a bus i'd pick the cheapest, i wouldn't care who the company is

I fail to see why people are moaning or is it just that this forum is full of idiots?

It often feels like the latter.

A shame people never used all those long vanished bus companies from the late 80s/early 90s, back when there was no end of choice.

They stuck with the "council" buses (SYPTE, which became Mainline, then First Mainline, then First SY).

A lot of people took years before the penny dropped that the "council" buses were private too, and by then it was too late.

The people of Sheffield voted for First with their wallets and now they're complaining because First have a near monopoly. :rolleyes:

Ever heard of causality?

Apparently its true that First SY's fare is higher than any English cities thats larger than Sheffield! Especially higher than London!!

London's buses are nationalised! TfL's website has clear and latest fare info.!

All buses in London no matter how far you travel: £1.35 (FSY's most common fare are £1.40&1.70)

London's bus-only daily cap costs £4.20 (cheaper than FirstDay Sheffield!)

FirstDay Manchester costs £4.50 thats still cheaper than FSY!

In comparison to a lot of places throughout the UK Sheffield's bus fares really aren't that expensive. Main reason: there is a high level of competition. You go anywhere in the UK where there isn't competition, no matter who the operator is and you will pay through the nose.