Pensions decision ‘bad’ for university

Maybe the bigger story is why are the University only paying 14k for full time positions?

Because they can get away with it.

Especially in the current climate. When the financial climate improves they will (hopefully) shoot themselves in the foot for failing to recruit and retain good staff.

My enquiry in regards to this is WHY isn't there one pension scheme for all, you get back what you pay in and to turn a phrase simples! For some reason the Unions and University do not want to discuss this...

Though the University maybe the "Time's University of the year" they have in effect messed around their lowest paid staff (I'm being polite here). This incidentally affects grades 1 - 5 who are all on the USPS (University of Sheffield Pension Scheme) non academic scheme. This may come back to haunt them, plus taking an 8 year payment break whilst the lowest paid staff are still paying into the scheme belies belief. This is now why they cannot afford to keep this scheme going. Though they have only just realised over the past couple of years that people are in fact living longer... its like "hello where have you been"? (these are academics)

All the USS scheme members are safe especially those higher up the tree (grades 6 and above).

Manxcat made an excellent comment on this, mess your staff around and they will leave and shoot yourselves in the foot for failing to recruit and retain good staff. I've seen it first hand elsewhere... time will tell!

My enquiry in regards to this is WHY isn't there one pension scheme for all, you get back what you pay in and to turn a phrase simples! For some reason the Unions and University do not want to discuss this...

The unions have suggested this (and many other alternatives) which have all been rejected, as the university is determined to press ahead with this scheme.

As to WHY there isn't one pension scheme for all - I cannot fathom this out. The unions have always pressed in negotiation for lower grade staff to be placed in the same scheme as the higher paid staff, but the uni refused.

And the uni won't pull it's higher grade staff out because the resultant strike action would cripple the university.

It thinks lower grade staff are an easier target clearly.....