Know anything about Richards cutlers?

Richards was founded in the 1930s by two German brothers whose names were actually Paul and Stefan Richartz. They came from Solingen in Germany (like sheffield a big cutlery manufacturing town) and they brought with them a skilled production engineer, Wilhelm Müller. The name of the firm was changed to Richards just before the Second World War. They mass-produced knives, scissors etc. which had the "lamp-post" trade mark. Their original factory was badly damaged in the war and in 1946 they moved to a new building at 55 Moore Street site - where Wickes is now. It was probably the largest cutlery-manufacturing firm in Sheffield, though the "traditional" cutlers tended to look down on them in view of their cheap, mass-produced output. My brother-in-law was caretaker there in the 1960s, by which time Müller was running the firm; I used to go with him on his rounds and I well remember the "rumblers" that lazarus referred to. Richards was bought out in 1977 by the Imperial Knife Company of the U.S.A. Richards closed in 1983 and the factory was demolished. Wilhelm Müller died aged 77 in 1982.

Edited by hillsbro

So, I have a lovely mother of pearl penknife that was found in my grandmothers garden in Italy and have opened it up today and it reads 'Richards, Sheffield, England with a little lighthouse-type drawing inscribed on it. How long was Richards open and would there be any point (scuse the pun) in getting it valued. It's dinky! xx

The trade mark you describe is certainly that of Richards Brothers of Moore Street. The knife probably isn't worth much - they were mass-produced and sold cheaply, often mounted on cards to be sold for a few shillings at corner shops etc. But they are certainly pretty! Here is a typical Richards penknife. I have a small Richards knife with an old farthing set into the handle.

Richards was founded in the 1930s by two German brothers whose names were actually Paul and Stefan Richartz. They came from Solingen in Germany (like sheffield a big cutlery manufacturing town) and they brought with them a skilled production engineer, Wilhelm Müller. The name of the firm was changed to Richards just before the Second World War. They mass-produced knives, scissors etc. which had the "lamp-post" trade mark. Their original factory was badly damaged in the war and in 1946 they moved to a new building at 55 Moore Street site - where Wickes is now. It was probably the largest cutlery-manufacturing firm in Sheffield, though the "traditional" cutlers tended to look down on them in view of their cheap, mass-produced output. My brother-in-law was caretaker there in the 1960s, by which time Müller was running the firm; I used to go with him on his rounds and I well remember the "rumblers" that lazarus referred to. Richards was bought out in 1977 by the Imperial Knife Company of the U.S.A. Richards closed in 1983 and the factory was demolished. Wilhelm Müller died aged 77 in 1982.

Hi Hiilsboro, my mum used to work there in the 60,s, she said she can remember the caretaker there but not his name, could you tell it me please? She worked on the wet grinding. Mums formans name was Harold.

Edited by lubylou

Hi lubylou - the caretaker was John Cassar. He was Maltese by birth and a good worker. At first he was in the joiner's shop at Richards but when the caretaker's job (and flat) became vacant early in 1962 he took the job. He and my sister were there until 1970 when they moved to Skegness with their two children to manage a caravan site. After John retired he went back to Malta, and I'm sorry to have to say that he died suddenly there of a heart attack on 13 June this year, aged 80. He and my sister divorced in 1977 but they remained good friends, and my mother thought the world of John. Here is a picture of them both taken at my mum's bungalow in Wadsley in August 2005: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/MumJohn.jpg

Edited by hillsbro

Thankyou for that Hillsboro, i will pass this info onto my mum, and next time she is at my house i will show her the picture. Sorry to here of his passing.

I worked for Richard Bros 78 - until just before it closed down around 83, it was my first proper job after leaving school.

Yes my dad worked there and 2 of my uncles my dad was known has Billy or Bill or Wesh [ Wash ] from the army he was a Die Setter and lost 2 finger ends he was well liked and always came home with gifts from the girls has he called them. He did the fire watch during the war, surname Glossop. Arther and Bobby were my uncles. Yes cheap crap I got one of there pen knives from school for the Coronation it was broke before I got home.

i remember my grandad billy taking us to the childrens christmas party, and getting a brown envelope with money in it from father christmas.:)

I worked at Richards in 1967-69 and I well remember the caretaker John Cassar - great bloke. So sorry to hear of his passing, but thanks hillsbro for sharing this information. At least John lived to a good age and was able to retire to his sunny homeland of Malta.

I can remember Charlie Sharratt and Ted Wiggins from the warehouse.

hiya

as regards richards at the corner of upper hanover st and broomhall st i remember it well when i was small,i dont think it was damaged during the war, and the new factory wasn't built for a few years after the war,the reason i know was when it was demolished, i happened to say to a workmate that it was a sign of getting old when you saw a building being built, and the same one being pulled down, his answer was that he worked on the building of it as an apprentice bricklayer in 1949, also the road at the bottom side of richards was bishop st running from fitzwilliam st to young st was ideal for roller skating as all the other roads around were all cobbles .

Edited by willybite

I learned a little about the history of the firm during my 18 months there in the 1960s. Before the war, Richards had factories in both Broomhall Street and Soho Street (on the other side of Ecclesall Road). Both factories were damaged in the blitz and the decision was made to build a new factory. While this was being designed and built, the Soho Street factory was closed in 1945-46 and its production moved to a temporary factory near the Broomhall Street site - this is probably the move that "hillsbro" referred to. All the production moved to the new factory, which must have been ready for occupation in about 1949-50.

It was Young Street at the bottom of Bishop Street - if I'd noticed the smooth surface I might have had a go at rollerskating myself, though I suppose that by the time I was at Richards my rollerskating days were over and I was more interested in motorbikes!:)