Do Tablets need an anti-virus and firewall?

True, but as I said... using apps from the Jailbreak World (e.g. Cydia) is less safe than the (Apple) App Store where they are checked before being made available.

That's different. I'm talking about someone using the same exploits that have enabled users to jailbreak simply by visiting a webpage to deliver malware.

My bad - protected environment in computing usually means protecting the OS and other applications from faulty/rogue/etc. applications.

Whilst Apple's walled garden is not for me, I want to develop software for my phone without having to buy a Mac to do so, I do realise it has its benefits as well as its downsides. It's also about protecting Apple's revenue stream as well as users - petty rules like not allowing in app links to content subscriptions that don't use Apple's subscription services which would push up costs for providers and prices for consumers. I think people should be informed about the restrictions and implications that walled garden will have on their usage of a device so they can make informed decisions about whether to choose it.

There can't be many who want to develop software for their own handset. I guess Apple only provide an iPhone SDK for OS X as it's easier for them. (They presumably expected - and both found & acquired - plenty of developers on that platform.) Apple are no different to most content providers in respect of encouraging (but not forcing) purchases to be made via their ecosystem. Look at Sky, BT Vision, Virgin Media for example, who essentially force you to choose their paid-for video products. (At least Apple TV offers you a range of content providers - albeit more so in the USA where distribution rights naturally get sorted out first.) Even so they don't have it all their own way as this article explains. A key point to note here, as suggested above, is that content can be bought directly from the web site of the content provider and be used on iOS devices whether or not they choose not to accept Apple's terms and take a hit for an in-app purchase of the same thing. So, yes, let's make sure people are informed - though don't blame Apple for consumers not making informed choices due to them being stupid. An informed consumer is one who reads reviews and not just the marketing hype - maybe even one who asks in a shop with a good reputation for knowledge and impartiality - perhaps even by reading a forum such as this one.

That's different. I'm talking about someone using the same exploits that have enabled users to jailbreak simply by visiting a webpage to deliver malware.

Sorry... I misread your post. (Those who want to know more about this threat can read this.) Still, my point remains that not jailbreaking is safer.

---

Pointers to the arguments about the value of Apple's walled garden, ecosystem, call it what you will, can be found here.

On the specific matter of malware, here is some relevant news hot off the press which shows the Android model is problematic.

No you don't.

And that's straight from an Android Engineer.

Everyone trying to sell you Antivirus and Firewalls for Android are "Scammers and Charlatans"

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/charlatans-and-scammers-googler-slams-security-software-firms-20111123-1ntpu.html

A Google engineer has labelled as "charlatans and scammers" computer security vendors who sell anti-virus software for mobile phones after several of them criticised Google's Android platform for allowing too much malware.

The open source programs manager at Google, Chris DiBona, said anti-virus companies were playing on consumers' fears "to try to sell you [bull****] protection software" and claimed that the supposed mobile phone malware problem was a bogus scare campaign created by the security software companies.

"[Anti]-virus companies are playing on your fears to try to sell you [bull****] protection software for Android, RIM and iOS," Mr DiBona said on Google+, his company's social networking rival to Facebook. "They are charlatans and scammers. If you work for a company selling virus protection for Android, RIM or iOS you should be ashamed of yourself."

He said that no major mobile or smartphone had a "virus" problem like both Windows and some Mac machines had seen.

"No Linux desktop has a real virus problem," he added. "There have been some little things, but they haven't gotten very far due to the user sandboxing models and the nature of the underlying kernels."

A virus is a piece of software capable of reproducing itself and is usually capable of causing harm to files on whatever it is installed on. Malware (short for malicious software) consists of computer code designed to either gather private information from a user (sometimes so a hacker can gain unauthorised access to something) or to prevent them from doing something.

Although a traditional kind of virus was possible on mobiles it was not "probable", Mr DiBona said. "The barriers to spreading such a program from phone to phone are large and difficult enough to traverse when you have legitimate access to the phone, but this isn't Independence Day, a virus that might work on one device won't magically spread to the other."

Edited by Greengeek

No you don't.

And that's straight from an Android Engineer.

Reading that he seems confused as to what an "antivirus" will protect you from. Most antivirus software will offer protection from the whole spectrum of malware, including "computer code designed to either gather private information from a user" - Just because it's labeled "antivirus" software, doesn't mean it'll only protect from viruses (and I'm meaning the true definition of what a virus is), it'll protect you from a whole lot more.

At the risk of turning this into an iPhone jailbreaking thread this provides an informed view - though the comment "I am trying to make sure that my phone is safe and your phone is safe. Apple cares about money, not your safety." from a hacker is laughable. The comment about it being "apparently not illegal" in the UK according to some expert is also rather vague. The forum rule on not allowing discussion on this should be clarified in this context.

Sorry... I misread your post. (Those who want to know more about this threat can read this.) Still, my point remains that not jailbreaking is safer.

Funnily enough, when the jailbreakme came out (the one with the pdf exploit) a patch was made available via cydia (to prevent malicious use of the exploit) before Apple was able to patch it officially.

Overall though I agree - the best protection if you have an iOS device is to apply all software updates promptly, and to avoid jailbreaking.

For Android this is more complicated, considering that many manufacturers don't bother to release updates for months, years, or even at all - leaving devices exposed to known flaws.

Android also has a less secure official market, making it easy for rogue apps to be distributed via the official channels, but also allows users to install apps from other sources 'out of the box' - So Anti virus software might be worth it for some. If you are going to install 'dodgy' apks, then it's probably a good idea.

The comment about it being "apparently not illegal" in the UK according to some expert is also rather vague.

That could just be down to the fact that their hasn't been a prosecution for phone jailbreaking in the UK that would provide example case law proving which way the laws work. Lawyers tend to be reticent about giving definitive answers without relevant case law to back them up.