Do Tablets need an anti-virus and firewall?

They are just like laptops in a way, but i'm wondering - Will I have to download an anti-virus and firewall for a recent touch screen tablet that I have purchesed? I'm wondering because a lot of smart phones works from an android programme and you don't need an anti virus ect for them, and there doesn't seem to be much about the security from the tablet manuel.

Aaah, I was thinking of getting a tablet like an Ipad or something, and I never considered anti-virus software for some reason.

The thread I posted above basically says most Malware etc is designed for Windows, as that is the most popular OS, but, I guess as tablets become more and more popular, Malware will be changing to suit, so its common sense really I suppose xx

If its an Android tablet then you can download Lookout security from the market.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5sb29rb3V0Il0.

I'm not convinced it is necessary, but its free so running a scan with it might be worth it just for peace of mind.

Aaah, I was thinking of getting a tablet like an Ipad or something, and I never considered anti-virus software for some reason.

You wont need one for an iPad, because its a closed OS, meaning that only things Apple approve can be installed!! (unless you jailbreak it)

Where as Android is a lot more open!!!

You wont need one for an iPad, because its a closed OS, meaning that only things Apple approve can be installed!! (unless you jailbreak it)

Where as Android is a lot more open!!!

Its not without its vulnerabilities though.

Old versions of iOS can still be jailbroken using the jailbreakme website - this exploits a weakness in the pdf reader to allow unsigned code to be run.

Its not without its vulnerabilities though.

Old versions of iOS can still be jailbroken using the jailbreakme website - this exploits a weakness in the pdf reader to allow unsigned code to be run.

You're asking for trouble with jailbreaking - Apple's so-called "walled garden" (i.e. protected environment) being the best place to be - but some find it worth the trouble. (Don't sing the praises of the act - nor the Thin Lizzy classic from the Seventies - as that is not allowed on this forum.) Still, as careful as Apple are they, like any operating system maker/store manager, can never guarantee a perfectly safe place. See this for example. However, as with my Mac (and don't let's start this argument again) I know it's not worth the effort putting Malware protection on my iPhone - if, indeed, there were any available. (I've not looked and won't bother.) Of course Android is another kettle of fish with its barely-regulated shops.

You're asking for trouble with jailbreaking - Apple's so-called "walled garden" (i.e. protected environment) being the best place to be - but some find it worth the trouble. (Don't sing the praises of the act - nor the Thin Lizzy classic from the Seventies - as that is not allowed on this forum.) Still, as careful as Apple are they, like any operating system maker/store manager, can never guarantee a perfectly safe place. See this for example. However, as with my Mac (and don't let's start this argument again) I know it's not worth the effort putting Malware protection on my iPhone - if, indeed, there were any available. (I've not looked and won't bother.) Of course Android is another kettle of fish with its barely-regulated shops.

But the fact that some versions can be jailbroken simply by visiting a webpages that exploits a known weakness shows that the walled garden isn't necessarily that safe after all.

A walled garden refers to a service provider restricting what they allow people to do with a device - which Apple does via its App Store.

The protected environment you refer to is more of a sandbox, which many iOS apps run in (and Apple will apparently require all of them to be sandboxed from 1/3/2012). All Android apps are all sandboxed.

Of course, users electing to allow stupid things isn't restricted to any OS.

But the fact that some versions can be jailbroken simply by visiting a webpages that exploits a known weakness shows that the walled garden isn't necessarily that safe after all.

True, but as I said... using apps from the Jailbreak World (e.g. Cydia) is less safe than the (Apple) App Store where they are checked before being made available.

A walled garden refers to a service provider restricting what they allow people to do with a device - which Apple does via its App Store.

That's what I was referring to - a place with (theoretically) very safe apps - the App Store and the controls that Apple places on devices making for a safer time all around. Of course some don't like restriction and choose to jailbreak or opt for an alternative platform though it doesn't stop them whining about the Apple model which they can't accept is designed to make for a better experience for the majority.

That's what I was referring to - a place with (theoretically) very safe apps - the App Store and the controls that Apple places on devices making for a safer time all around. Of course some don't like restriction and choose to jailbreak or opt for an alternative platform though it doesn't stop them whining about the Apple model which they can't accept is designed to make for a better experience for the majority.

My bad - protected environment in computing usually means protecting the OS and other applications from faulty/rogue/etc. applications.

Whilst Apple's walled garden is not for me, I want to develop software for my phone without having to buy a Mac to do so, I do realise it has its benefits as well as its downsides. It's also about protecting Apple's revenue stream as well as users - petty rules like not allowing in app links to content subscriptions that don't use Apple's subscription services which would push up costs for providers and prices for consumers. I think people should be informed about the restrictions and implications that walled garden will have on their usage of a device so they can make informed decisions about whether to choose it.