Anyone remember carblox [loxley]

hi worked there early 70s happy memories.

I, too, worked there in the early 70`s....muckiest job in Britain, surely, yet in beautiful scenery..some lads used to fish in the Loxley..

I, too, worked there in the early 70`s....muckiest job in Britain, surely, yet in beautiful scenery..some lads used to fish in the Loxley..

'Muckiest job in Britain', what did they do and where in Loxley was it ?

They used to make carbon blocks in different sizes for steal furnaces. It was located in the Loxley valley just past wraggs refractories

stpetre,

Carbox (carbon blocks) was part of the Marshalls group - manufacturing very large - and heavy - linings for the teeming process within the steel industry.

The site was in Bradfield Dale - alongside the River Loxley - where damage took place in the 1864 Sheffield flood- but it`s now in a ruinous state.

The carbon based materials used were largely bitumen, tars and , worst of all, graphite dust! This stuff festered in my lungs for a full six months after I left..

They used to make carbon blocks in different sizes for steal furnaces. It was located in the Loxley valley just past wraggs refractories

Were their products similar to those of Union Carbide/British Acheson (the Claywheels Lane firm) ?

........anyone remember the Italian Folleti brothers Ivano and Romano that worked there,early 60s?