History of Broomhill, Sheffield

I am loving being in Sheffield. Researching my family tree is a favourite hobby. I enjoy researching the history of areas I lived in so I am home from home here. In Sydney you need to research the history of the names of the suburbs. Like "Jannali" which is aboriginal meaning place of the moon. "Mudgee" another place we lived in NSW means "little nest in the hills". Many Sydney suburbs are named after aboriginal words such as Kogarah, Coogee, Woollomoloo, Parramatta.

Thanks for all the info. There are a couple of Coach Houses in Tapton House Rd and I think there may have been a connection between the race course and the big business people living in the road in the 1800s. The race course would have been close by.

Tapton House Road follows the original track between Crookes and the wheels at Endcliffe and therefore the route co existed with the track. The track closed decades (1790's) before the road and its houses were built. One house predates all the other on that road. All the other houses' histories can be inferred by census information ie dates appeared first/ built for multiple occupancy/ occupations etc. Few before 1851.

Stone quarries were active in the immediate area making it less desirable than other places. In fact the grander residents moved away.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by coach houses which appears a modern term. There were no coaching routes in this area at that time. People and businesses had carriges etc and had outhouses for domestic puposes.

The census and directory search really is invaluable in doing the history of THR.

Nearby Bleak House with its gatehouse has more than the obvious links to Dickens.

Melbourne Avenue, to be precise.

I'd always been lead to believe it was Wilkinson Street in Broomhall?

You are quite correct to believe that Wilkinson Street is in Broomhall.

Tapton House Road follows the original track between Crookes and the wheels at Endcliffe and therefore the route co existed with the track. The track closed decades (1790's) before the road Nearby Bleak House with its gatehouse has more than the obvious links to Dickens.

Thankyou Annie for Your interesting comments. The reason for my "feeling" there was a dwelling here before the coach house is due to overhaul we did of the stables and the layout of the grounds. It would have been the perfect site for a shepherd, a watchman, maybe a quarry manager. The walls of the house have many red stones in them unlike nearby , houses. They may well have been stone from the original site building. My imagination be running away. We are close to the top of the hill where both sides of the shire roads would have been watchable or a bonfire may have been sited for signalling. The site is on the South side of the hill. It would be easy to imagine the Brigantes or the Saxons originally living here.

Guest sibon

Not as far as I know.

Wiki agrees with me too

Not as far as I know.

Wiki agrees with me too

You are right Sibon it was Melbourne Ave at Broomhill, there is another thread about it. http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123241&highlight=yorkshire+ripper I was passing there that night. People always say Broomhall because he hung around there during the week before but Broomhill was where he was caught.

Edited by Rivelin6

That event must have created a lot of sales for security systems and explains why our area is so brilliantly lit at night time. It's sometimes brighter in the night than it is in the day.

Melbourne avenue is definately broomhill and not bromhall. I was very young at the time but remember the fear of the ripper.

Edited by S10er