Starters ideas for christmas day

I am cooking christmas dinner for 13 people and i am in need of ideas and recipies for a starter no pate tho please :gag:

I am cooking christmas dinner for 13 people and i am in need of ideas and recipies for a starter no pate tho please :gag:

1980s favorite prawncocktail most people will love it.

I have a large family so my mum always needs to cook something easy that everyone loves! We have a bowl of lettuce, prawns, homemade prawn sauce and a slice of lemon! If someone doesnt like prawns (which i dont haha) i have exactly the same but with some cucumber.

Waldorf salad with goats cheese, can be prepared in advance so much less hassle on the day. We'll be having smoked salmon but for 13 people that might be stretching the budget.

Yorkshire puddings with red onion and red wine gravy. You can even make them the day before and just re-heat in the oven.

I make soup butternut squash that always goes down well and easy for 13! X

Waldorf salad with goats cheese, can be prepared in advance so much less hassle on the day. We'll be having smoked salmon but for 13 people that might be stretching the budget.

we are right out of waldorfs at the minute sorry.

French onion soup is always a winner in our house...and if you cook it and pop in the slow cooker it stays hot and is easy to serve for 13..personally i dont bother with the croutons...i think its too heavy before dinner with them.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4250/french-onion-soup

this is a really nice and easy soup too.. http://nourishingmoms.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/butternut-squash-soup-with-coconut-milk-and-lime/

Edited by littleboo

I occasionally make a prawn, bacon and orange salad which has a couple of advantages. Firstly its dead easy to make. Most of it can be made in advance. Its cheap because you can make it with frozen prawns because most of the flavour comes from the dressing. It looks more complicated than it actually is. Lastly pretty much everyone likes bacon, is ok with oranges and will ignore the prawns if they don't like them.

How about melon balls/ boats. Very refreshing before you launch into turkey with all the trimmings!!

How about melon balls/ boats. Very refreshing before you launch into turkey with all the trimmings!!

You could also add some alcohol drenched cherries for the adults!

I would definitely second the soup idea, you can make it the day before and just heat it up on the day then spoon into bowls, saves a LOT of faff when you are trying to sort out the main meal too. Plus peoople can have as much/little as they want then.

How about the pumpkin soup here? http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/dec/05/shopping.foodanddrink

Or just keep it simple with carrot and coriander.