Any one remember ABC pictures in town

Oh yes, the ABC. It was a fantastic cinema and many a film I've seen there. I went to a few of the children's matinees, but most of the films I saw there were when I was older - the most memorable being Barbarella. Innocent that I was, I didn't realise that there would be so much nudity in the film - although I still enjoyed it because (a) I'm not a prude and (b) I was rather taken with (the late) John Philip Law, who played the blind angel. It was also the first - and thankfully the last - occasion when I endured a "man in a dirty raincoat" sitting down next to me, before I hastily changed seats. What I really remember about the ABC though, besides that lovely big screen, was that in the foyer, was a kiosk that sold the most delicious milk shakes. It was a real shame that the cinema closed down before being demolished.

Those cinemas out at Valley Entertainment and Crystal Peaks, with their tiny screens and overloud sound, aren't a patch on the old cinemas - the ABC, Odeon and Gaumont, to name a few - that used to be in the city centre.

I went to see A Clockwork Orange there even tho I was not old enough my mum used mascara to darken the bit of bum fluff I had on my top lip to make me look older.

I think it was actually screened for almost two years at the Odeon, Flat Street. This wouuld be around 1965/6.

Exactly, it seemed to be there forever.

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 19:45 ----------

Saw the Life of Brian at the ABC around'74/'75, my stomach was sore for a week.

---------- Post added 26-04-2015 at 19:49 ----------[/sI

Edited by TORONTONY

Earthdragon ~ Please Note

I was an ardent picturegoer (took the magazine for years) and for my money I think the Regent later to become the Gaumont before they messed about with it was by far the most impressive cinema in Sheffield and I visited a lot of cinemas in my time, used to go 3 or 4 times a week, I hardly ever go now, the last visit I made was on Jersey some years ago when "Mamma Mia" was all the rage.

Somewhere in the depths of my memory I seem to think that when it was built it was one of the largest cinemas in England. Must have read it in The Star when it used to be useful

When the A.B.C. cinema was built around 1962 it wasn't the biggest in Sheffield never mind England. The Odeon (Flat Street) and the Gaumont (Barker's Pool) were larger.

When the A.B.C. cinema was built around 1962 it wasn't the biggest in Sheffield never mind England. The Odeon (Flat Street) and the Gaumont (Barker's Pool) were larger.

And the Odeon is still there ,Hallam Uni have not yet taken it over but!!!!!!!!!!!

Earthdragon ~ Please Note

I was an ardent picturegoer (took the magazine for years) and for my money I think the Regent later to become the Gaumont before they messed about with it was by far the most impressive cinema in Sheffield and I visited a lot of cinemas in my time, used to go 3 or 4 times a week, I hardly ever go now, the last visit I made was on Jersey some years ago when "Mamma Mia" was all the rage.

I won't argue with you about the old Gaumont. It was scandalous what they did to it. Going to the Gaumont used to be a proper night out - almost like walking into a palace. Definitely the best cinema I've ever been to. Another good cinema was the old Odeon, before it became a bingo hall.

I was also an ardent cinema goer and bought all the magazines so that I could read about my favourite actors. Since the transition to small screens and sound that hurts your eardrums, however, I prefer to watch films in the comfort of my own home.

Not the largest cinema, but the largest screen.

I also remember the ABC went there in early 60s on a school trip we saw ben her could not get over how big the screen was and sound coming from all directions great day out

I also remember the ABC went there in early 60s on a school trip we saw ben her could not get over how big the screen was and sound coming from all directions great day out
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6155764035886971009

Hi Rodbender, Not sure what year this picture was taken but look on

board above it might give some idea, i dont even know what year it closed

for good. the only time i ever went in the A B C was the see Ben Hur twice.

Its a 99p shop now on Snig Hill. :suspect:

Thinking of the old ABC in town, brings happy memories of going into the city with my mum. As we got off the bus in Bridge street, where the terminus was back then, we walked up Angel street deciding whether to go into the Spot cafe, on the corner... or be drawn by the gorgeous smell of coffee and climb the steps in the ABC. Glass coffee cup "exotic" brown sugar ....hmm.