The Sheffield derby 1979 (Hillsborough)

I was there, Boxing Day 1979 was the day Wednesday turned the tide again in Sheffield football, we had been No 2 in the city since 1970/71 and this eagerly anticipated derby match will remain in history as The Boxing Day Massacre - Ian Mellor became a Hillsborogh legend that day !

Watch the highlights my red n white piggy friends http://www.david.capel.btinternet.co.uk/football.htm

Excellent stuff. I remember it well. Saw some similar footage on Rock n Roll Goals on ITV just before Crimbo. Even now it makes me glow:thumbsup:

Unfortunately - me and my cousin - two blades with a fmaily of Wednesday sat in the North stand amongst the blue and white hordes.

Just watched that film, and now suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - bad memories.

Oh well, not long before Utd get the chance to put it right!!!!

I did go to the Boxing day massacre. At the time I'd moved to the East Coast, so I travelled down to Sheffield in my Ford Capri, with my little blade brother and a neutral friend.

I thought the day was going to pan out badly, as I saw three broken down Capris' during the journey and I had to park mine at the top of a hill, because the starter motor was a bit tempremental. :gag:

I don't remember too much about the game, apart from it being billed as a battle between Sabella and Curran. I think the crowd was 49000 ish, and we sat in the south stand.

Strangely my little blade brother has never forgotten the game and is hoping for revenge in a couple of weeks time! :loopy:

Fluke my articles, where was the wall?

:cool:

Holding the twin towers up.:loopy:

:rant::suspect::gag: NO COMMENT!:rant::suspect::gag:

:cry:

Hi pt.;)

Revenge will be ours at Hillsborough, never fear.

I was at the BDM in '79, unfortunately I am a bit too far away to go to this year's Hillsborough derby, but will be there in spirit.

Better Dead Than Red

On 03/12/2005 at 09:22, kirky said:

did you attended.........i flippin did,i remember there was no buses that day so we set off walking,on city road a bloke pulled up and ask if we wanted a lift,he dropped us off right at the back of the kop....you couldn't move for swines..we made a quick jog round to the leppings lane end the match is a bit of a blur but i think we lost:) (slightly) and then i got chinned by a big black bloke on pennistone road.......well i was only 16 and this bloke was a right muncher.so all in all it was a pretty **** day.

just a point: we were 8 points clear at the top of the league and wed were nowhere.....we finished mid table and they went up.......:|

Old Thread. New Post....

Thanks OP, for the memory...and the classic quotes above.😂.

Getting on nearly 40 years since now and they're still talking (and singing) about it. 

I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Great for me, the whole day through, walk down to the match with the mates, had a season ticket for the North Stand that season, so great view of the Kop and rest of the ground, rammed full to the rafters, Terrific atmosphere all round...and an amazing game start to finish, Mellor's legendary scorcher, Curran, King, Smithy, GET IN!

Rushed home and out again, to the Bay Horse in Pitsmoor and drank a few beers and brandy, just for the ocassion.

It was more than well worth the hangover of the following morning and the hoarse voice from chanting and singing and drinking.

Still one of the best days of my life, in a footballing sense anyway....still got those old b/w Star photos of the match, the scarf, lucky Wednesday shirt, the programme and even that empty Brandy bottle!

Good old Jackie  Charlton, eh?  what a season.

I remember walking to the match with my girlfriend now my wife. We bumped into some friends who were owls fans they thought Utd would win so did I we had the best away record they the worst home at the time. Walking home afterwards feeling sick took some getting over my owl mates didn't let me forget for ages.