Digital Region: False advertising by littlebigone?

just been visiting modaco forums and littlebigone are advertising in the banners that 40mb broadband is available everywhere in south yorkshire.

as everyone knows this is not the case, so surely they shouldn't be allowed to advertise that

just been visiting modaco forums and littlebigone are advertising in the banners that 40mb broadband is available everywhere in south yorkshire.

as everyone knows this is not the case, so surely they shouldn't be allowed to advertise that

We've had a few people moan at us about this, we've had to tell them that it isn't everywhere, and it makes them look a bit daft. I think using "Everywhere" is a bit naughty, I hope they change their advertising so that it doesn't give people false hope.

We've had a few people moan at us about this, we've had to tell them that it isn't everywhere, and it makes them look a bit daft. I think using "Everywhere" is a bit naughty, I hope they change their advertising so that it doesn't give people false hope.

i agree as if i was a new customer looking to sign up based on the information they advertise i would not be happy to be told it was not in my area.

So they pretend to be local, and then fudge the figures on their advertising? What a company...

That's for everyone's interest in our campaigns.

Our intention is absolutely not to deceive anyone. The point is our research shows that the people in classic low speed areas (typically remote villages and towns) assume that they are the 17% who are not currently covered. This is of course false as in general these people are largely covered. By using the everywhere (not everyone) line our intention is to get this message across.

If any of you would like to make alternative suggestions, email [email protected] and there could be a prize in it for you if the idea is good!

With regards to 'pretending' to be a local company, we have never done this. Our main address is on every page of our website. We do have people in South Yorkshire working for us though. We are committed to helping people and investing in South Yorkshire.

Thanks

littlebigone.com

why don't you say 'pretty much everywhere in Sheffield'?

*idea*

If ISP's can get away with Unlimited, when there's clearly limits, why can't they get away with "Everywhere" when it isn't?

That's for everyone's interest in our campaigns.

Our intention is absolutely not to deceive anyone. The point is our research shows that the people in classic low speed areas (typically remote villages and towns) assume that they are the 17% who are not currently covered. This is of course false as in general these people are largely covered. By using the everywhere (not everyone) line our intention is to get this message across.

Surely if you can get to one or more people in the remote villages, you can get to everyone in the village?????Upgrading the netowrk would surely mean replacing the existing copper or aluminium cable? Doing that with fibre would allow All to benefit or are the intentions to run a parralell network??

I am confused - again - BT have also stated that Infinity wil be in our small village in the next three months. If BT have brought the capability to the village - does that not mean other ISP's can pass this benefit to their customers as well using the same infrastructure??? No doubt it is more complex than this...

Surely if you can get to one or more people in the remote villages, you can get to everyone in the village?????Upgrading the netowrk would surely mean replacing the existing copper or aluminium cable? Doing that with fibre would allow All to benefit or are the intentions to run a parralell network??

I am confused - again - BT have also stated that Infinity wil be in our small village in the next three months. If BT have brought the capability to the village - does that not mean other ISP's can pass this benefit to their customers as well using the same infrastructure??? No doubt it is more complex than this...

BT Infinity is a similar type of technology to Digital Region, but it's a different network, run by BT. Digital Region is run by a combination of Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham & Sheffield councils, funding is mainly from the eu, councils & the isp partners.

So they're a similar type of technology, but they're not both the same organisations behind them. Not all digital region partner ISPs will be able to offer BT Infinity based connections (I think it is just BT at the moment) & BT isn't a digital region partner. They're competing networks. I'm not even sure if BT are selling access to their 'infinity' vdsl infrastructure to any other ISPs yet, ofcom will force them to, eventually, I hope.

They're both parallel networks I believe, so unless you sign up there will be no difference. A fibre optic cable runs to a green box on each road that serves a few houses & then your phone line is connected to it if you sign up.

A related note, with the high price of copper BT's shares are worth less than the scrap value of all the old copper phone lines they own. Fibre optic cables are cheaper than copper cables.

Digital Region are aiming to cover most of South Yorkshire

The build started in 2008 and ‘phase one’ of the project to reach 80% of homes and businesses in South Yorkshire is on schedule to be completed in December 2011.

But that’s not where the project ends. The Digital Region network will continue to develop and eventually reach a massive 97% of the entire region.

http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/get-connected

That 80%+ that will be covered by January includes over 250,000 homes & businesses that only had access to poor quality broadband connections before.

Edited by anywebsite

So they're a similar type of technology, but they're not both the same organisations behind them. Not all digital region partner ISPs will be able to offer BT Infinity based connections (I think it is just BT at the moment) & BT isn't a digital region partner. They're competing networks. I'm not even sure if BT are selling access to their 'infinity' vdsl infrastructure to any other ISPs yet, ofcom will force them to, eventually, I hope.

They're both parallel networks I believe, so unless you sign up there will be no difference. A fibre optic cable runs to a green box on each road that serves a few houses & then your phone line is connected to it if you sign up.

So in effect there could be the existing patched/multi repaired copper/aluminimu cable AND a fibre cable running parallell to the same village?

If BT Infinity has come here, what about DR? Could we have two fibre and one copper/aluminium in the same village??? That does seem strange.

So in effect there could be the existing patched/multi repaired copper/aluminimu cable AND a fibre cable running parallell to the same village?

If BT Infinity has come here, what about DR? Could we have two fibre and one copper/aluminium in the same village??? That does seem strange.

Yes, that's right. It's cheaper to create a new network & run it alongside the existing one (for a while at least), rather than switch everybody to the new fibre optic network straight away.

It's especially easy for BT, they already have a lot of the infrastructure, like underground ducting, phone polls, etc, which they don't let anybody else use. There's plenty of spare room for them to run new cables alongside the existing ones. Fibre optic cables are cheap, it's digging up roads to lay new ducting to put it through which costs a lot of money for anybody that isn't called BT.

Ah - so BT lay a fibre to the cabinet and then don't let other ISP's use it as the old cabel is still there? Awesome - so by default the whole village will have to go BT if we want boadband faster than 1.7mb? Fantastic.