Living in Chapeltown

Moving back to South Yorks after 20 years in London and one of areas I'm looking at is Chapeltown, near centre/train station area.

I saw one thread which mentioned gangs roaming around at night and another which mentioned the 'Scandals' pub just near the centre having a bit of a 'reputation'. Does anyone know Chapeltown intimately enough to tell me if these two aspects of the town are that bad?

Thanks!

Like most things - it's how you perceive it. "Gangs" is a bit strong. More like 18 - 25's a bit drunk on Friday and Saturday, and the groups of kids that you get in every parts of Sheffield, even leafy desirable Fulwood.

You would be better looking around Burncross which is 10 minutes walk up the hill, or the area around Chapel Road which is just the same but a bit closer to walk. Try not to get too close to High Green

Thanks for the info.

Burncross would be a bit too far up I think - I like the idea of being close to the train station so I'm not so dependent on a car.

Why would you avoid High Green?

I walked round a few areas in Chapeltown today and asked a few shopkeepers, residents and estate agents who all seemed fairly positive about the area.

Another plus is the swimming pool just around the corner...

Do you actually live in Chapeltown/know about any other facilities eg. clubs (as in sports), nearby colleges running evening classes etc?

I can't for the life of me understand why one would want to avoid High Green! It's great! there is wonderful country side to see and walk in. Besides Kevin Williams has the best pork sammies in this world. I know a thing or two about pork.

Also, the people are great. I'm an American redkneck from Mississippi and already have new friends met while supping a few at fantastic pub!

I posted in another thread about Chapeltown, can't remember the title though...

I haven't particularly seen or heard any of "gangs". Occasionally there's kids hanging around the shops but I don't think that's too much of a problem since that's what I used to do with my mates before we were old enough to drive or get into pubs! I haven't seen any trouble which is more important.

I'm not sure about any local colleges running evening classes. I briefly looked into evening classes myself and I think most of them are run by the Universities at either their main campus buildings one of their affiliated sites. But I couldn't seem to find an affiliated site that was particularly near Chapeltown. I might be wrong (I didn't look into it in that much depth), I suppose it depends on the course(s) you're interested in?