Advice about a veranda on neighbours property

I have just been to view a property in rotherham what im interested in making an offer on.

The one thing that has slightly put me off is that the neighbours property has a small single storey extension on the rear with a veranda and patio doors that come off the rear bedroom.

If anyone was on the veranda they they would have a clear view straight into the back bedroom of the property im interested in, which i think is very strange.

I have looked on the rotherham planning website and there is no application for the veranda or even a rear single storey extension. I was thinking of phoning the planning department to ask them what they think of this. Would anyone else do the same? if not what would you do?

are you saying your going to call rotherham planning debt to tell them the house next door to one that you are about to make an offer on but dont yet own has an extention that may not have permission?

be very careful if you do this. if your offer is accepted you will be living next door to someone who might have been asked by the council to pull down their extention.

nice way to make friends with your new neighbours.

when i look at buying a house i decide if its what i want. if it isnt i look at another house. i dont try to cause trouble for the neighbour!

are you saying your going to call rotherham planning debt to tell them the house next door to one that you are about to make an offer on but dont yet own has an extention that may not have permission?

be very careful if you do this. if your offer is accepted you will be living next door to someone who might have been asked by the council to pull down their extention.

nice way to make friends with your new neighbours.

when i look at buying a house i decide if its what i want. if it isnt i look at another house. i dont try to cause trouble for the neighbour!

This a ridiculous response 'oldskater', the buyer will be responsible for removing it if a complaint is made at a future date. ... Returnofjim, get your estate agent to liase with your solicitor on this one! Any anomalies regarding planning permission will be sorted out at that point. The vendor will no doubt be aware that this could and will cause future issues. Your survey would pick up on this anyway!

No, oldskater is absolutely bang on. Just walk away if you don't like it, the neighbours affairs are none of your damned business.

Think I'd be looking for another house.

Either they have permission in which case you'd have to live with them overlooking you, or they didn't need permission (which I doubt) in which case you'd still have to live with it, or they don't have permission, in which case you'd need to go through the rigmarole of planning enforcement, not to mention getting off to a terrible start with the neighbours.

Is it such a great property or bargain that it makes up for this problem?

No, oldskater is absolutely bang on. Just walk away if you don't like it, the neighbours affairs are none of your damned business.

What he said plus,:rant:

I have just been to view a property in rotherham what im interested in making an offer on.

The one thing that has slightly put me off is that the neighbours property has a small single storey extension on the rear with a veranda and patio doors that come off the rear bedroom.

If anyone was on the veranda they they would have a clear view straight into the back bedroom of the property im interested in, which i think is very strange.

I have looked on the rotherham planning website and there is no application for the veranda or even a rear single storey extension. I was thinking of phoning the planning department to ask them what they think of this. Would anyone else do the same? if not what would you do?

think yourself lucky you can choose where you want to live, a lot of people dont have that choice :rant:

OP: find out for how long the offending building has been there- there's always a time limit for action based on breach of either Planing Acts or Building Acts.

OP: find out for how long the offending building has been there- there's always a time limit for action based on breach of either Planing Acts or Building Acts.

Is there a standard time limit on anything that is in breach of planning regulations or is it dependant on the size or type of building?

It's a touchy point I suppose it should have planning especially if it has a balcony but it depends when it was done it may not be on the system. Also to complain about planning it usually has to be in writing or at the very least a name and address taken otherwise the council would be out every 2 minutes chasing up unfounded claims of planning breach.

Either way if there is no planning and you move in and have it torn down or if you don't move in and it gets torn down at worst case some Extremely annoyed person may end up with your contact details.?? I personally would look at another house?

Have you asked the current owner of the house you are interested in, they may know when it was built on and if there was any planning permission involved. We had an extension added to our previous address and had to notify neighbours in case they had any objections.

At the end of the day, if they got permission you would have to live with it and if they did not, you could end up getting involved in a lengthy planning problem and then have to live next door to them, if it was me I would walk away.