Club Garden Road

Does anyone know how this road got its name?

I used to live just round the corner from there (on Lansdowne Rd)

It was built on on the site of a five acre field which was used as gardens in the early nineteenth century and known as Fifty Gardens field, It was used by members of a local club and its name was changed later to Club Gardens field.

Thanks tokyojoe.

Strange I never thought about the name when I was living nearby, but have been wondering about it for a while now, many years later.

Was there a pub, in club garden road with the same name, recall it year's ago, any one remember the landlord!!

There was a pub on the corner my dad was very friendly with the tenants in the 50s,in fact my dad was very friendly with all the landlords in Sheffield!

Can anyone remember a pawn broker's shop at the bottom of Club Garden Road, possibly on Pearl Street or Lansdowne Road? As a child in the '50s I used to occasionally visit one with my Grandma to pawn/retrieve Grandad's gold fob watch. No banking crisis in those days!

Also does anybody possess a map of that area pre Club Garden Road being built?

My Grand parents used to live on Hobart Street and the numbering of the houses on that road, Salmon Street and Sharrow Street suggests that houses on those roads were demolished when Club Garden Road was built. It's a mystery I've never been able to solve.

Hi echo beach - old directories show "Alfred Edmund Jowett, pawnbroker" on the corner of Club Garden Road and Lansdowne Road. Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site showing the building in 1962, shortly before demolition. Although the right-hand part of the building with the Dutch gable looks as if it might have been a house, Alfred Jowett didn't live there but had a large house in Hastings Road, Millhouses (it must have been a profitable business!)

You're quite right about the odd numbering on the streets you mention - directories show, for example, Hobart Street beginning at No 8 and Salmon Street with a gap between 23 and 35 on opposite sides of Club Garden Road. All the streets you mention seem to have been built within a few years of each other as they don't feature in the 1881 census but were all there by 1891.

Hi echo beach - old directories show "Alfred Edmund Jowett, pawnbroker" on the corner of Club Garden Road and Lansdowne Road. Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site showing the building in 1962, shortly before demolition. Although the right-hand part of the building with the Dutch gable looks as if it might have been a house, Alfred Jowett didn't live there but had a large house in Hastings Road, Millhouses (it must have been a profitable business!)

You're quite right about the odd numbering on the streets you mention - directories show, for example, Hobart Street beginning at No 8 and Salmon Street with a gap between 23 and 35 on opposite sides of Club Garden Road. All the streets you mention seem to have been built within a few years of each other as they don't feature in the 1881 census but were all there by 1891.

Thank you for the photo and information Hillsbro. You're a star.

That picture takes me back a long way and confirms that my visits to Jowett's place are not a figment of my imagination. I recall the shop as being like a scene out of a Dicken's novel and the photo portrays that.

The house on Hobart St to which I referred was rented initially by my parents shortly after they married in the '30s and subsequently by my maternal grand parents. It was owned, however, by my paternal great grand parents who, incidentally, also lived at Millhouses on Dobcroft Rd.

The house numbering question has always puzzled me. If, as you confirm, the streets were all built between 1881 and 1891 then it seem strange to demolish newish houses at the time to make way for another road. Having looked at the houses on Club Garden Rd, however, they do appear slightly more up market than those on the adjacent streets. Perhaps it was a case of 'money talking' and proof that living on a 'road' was one step up from living on a 'street'. It looks like I may have to delve into the Sheffield archives to confirm what I think happened in the late 19th century.

I just wonder if the plots for Hobart Street, Salmon Street etc. were laid out and numbered, and then they decided to build Club Garden Road across them - this might explain the odd street numbering. I did a bit of "homework" on Alfred Edmund Jowett - he was born in Sheffield in 1861 and built up a substantial pawnbroking business. He died in 1935 but the business was continued by his executors, including his son Edmund Jowett (1894-1965), though Edmund also had his own business nearby at 72 Asline Road.

Does anyone have any pictures of 144-148 Club Garden Road, Cabinet makers/upholsterers in 1940's , or know exactly where it would have been, given the odd numbering.

Does anyone have any pictures of 144-148 Club Garden Road, Cabinet makers/upholsterers in 1940's , or know exactly where it would have been, given the odd numbering.

Sorry I don't have any photos Ian but I think the premises were across the road from the end of Hobart Street. That would match up with the odd numbers on the side that still exists in its original form and I also recall shops being at that end of Club Garden Rd. Lower down there were houses.

echo