Is it too late to prune my apple tree?

Hi all

We have an (approx.) 6/7 year old apple tree in our back garden which to the best of my knowledge, has never been trimmed/pruned in any way (certainly not since we've lived here)

I'm not scared to have a go at lopping off a few of the errant branches, but I would hate to do any lasting damage to the tree as it is really fertile and always produces a good crop of apples.

Any tips would be appreciated :)

It's fine to prune it in winter.

Fine to prune the branches, just be really careful not to damage next years buds. They are already swelled and formed, due to the unusually warm weather we have been having.. Just hope we do not have any really bad weather, because this could cause real problems for the growing season next year... I currently have flowering cherry in full blossom... The ones in Meadowhall car park, near Sainsburys have been in blossom for weeks now...

What about plum and cherry trees does the same apply?

Do not prune you plum tree in Autumn or Winter

Are pear trees safe to prune in the winter months?

Are pear trees safe to prune in the winter months?

Yes. :)

Pear trees are fine to prune in winter... The Prunus family (Cherry, Plum, Damsons) should be pruned in the summer... They excrete a gum that heals any pruning wounds. It needs the heat of the summer sun to bake this resin hard... Pruning in winter will leave the wound open to bacteria....