Who was on the beginning of Crucible Theatre (40 years ago)?

Hello, I´m a trainee journalist and I´m writing a news story about the 40th aniversary of Crucible Theatre. I´m looking for someone who remembers that day 40 years ago. I would like to do a quick audio interview, its not expected to be broadcasted, it´s just for academic purposes. Any help will be welcomed.

Thank you

it cant have been open 40yrs or time is speeding away from me but thinking back you must be right i remember it opening but not who was on or the play

Surprising what you can find out with the press of a button.

"opening performance in November 1971 of Fanfare an evening’s entertainment comprising -children participating in an improvised scene, Chekhov’s Swan Song with Ian McKellen and Edward Petherbridge and a Music Hall Finale with a Sheffield Brass Band."

Regards

Angel.

My name is Paul Jepson and my wife Kath nee Stenton worked at the theatre when it opened in 1971 catering staff. if my memory serves me right the first production was Peer Gynt (hope the spelling is correct) the Christmas season play was Treasure Island. Am right in think that the lad who played Jim was also in the film Oliver and is now dead?

Surely it's more than 40 years old?

Edit. Oops. I now realise it's an old thread.

I remember going to the Crucible very soon after it opened and I'm sure the first play was a production of Ibsen's Peer Gynt.

This year is the 40th Anniversary of the Snooker Championships which were first held there in 1977 !!!!:thumbsup:

This year is the 40th Anniversary of the Snooker Championships which were first held there in 1977 !!!!:thumbsup:

It was held at other venues and countries prior to the crucible though.

I think Dorothy Vernon sang 'When the parade passes by' on the opening show. She was married to the Crucible director, Colin George. Also on the opening night performance was Ann Casson, daughter of Dame Sybil Thorndike.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

Surprising what you can find out with the press of a button.

"opening performance in November 1971 of Fanfare an evening’s entertainment comprising -children participating in an improvised scene, Chekhov’s Swan Song with Ian McKellen and Edward Petherbridge and a Music Hall Finale with a Sheffield Brass Band."

Regards

Angel.

Quite right, and my class at school was invited and put on a scene. My memory is a bit vague but I remember Colin George, and I remember a short sketch of cowboys and Indians I think?

I can't remember if this was on the night of the first real show or part of the official opening night celebrations.

Pity this is such an old thread.

I remember doing some sort of improvised production at the crucible when it first opened.... late 60s early 70s...... I attended a drama class held at a place on Scotland Street and we performed as a group. I seem to recall that the performance involved us sliding down something in the middle of a mountain with the pied piper ???