Falkland Islands Tension increase

Odd then, given this 'classified information' you were privy to, that the MOD decided to equip so many British warships with exocet, given they performed so poorly?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yes, but because they do not explode properly they were cheap.

I'm glad The Sun are representing our interests. The great ambassadors that they are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annoni_mouse

Odd then, given this 'classified information' you were privy to, that the MOD decided to equip so many British warships with exocet, given they performed so poorly?

Yes, but because they do not explode properly they were cheap.

or, given the missile fired to ship sunk/damaged ratio during the war, they decided that the exocet was better at the time than harpoon, for example?

Yes I've often wondered why we don't secretly install self destruct devices into the weapons we sell.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 19:19 ----------

The Enterprise is a US aircraft carrier so no thats not the one. :D

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 19:25 ----------

I think it was only HMS Sheffield and HMS Glamorgan that were hit by Exocet.

If you were there as you claim I'm sure you wouldn't have forgotten that the Conveyor was also hit by two Excocets, taking a lot of the helicopters, and more importantly most of the Mars Bars to the bottom when it sank.

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 17:20 ----------

If all the exocets that hit our ships had exploded we would have lost the war. I would like to say a big thank you to the French for being incompetent.:)

I believe that all the Exocets that hit did explode. There were a lot of ships that were holed by bombs going all the way though them without detonating, which still lets the water in of course although not as catastrophically.

The ship I was on won us the war and it wasn't hit thnkfully. :)

Which ship were you on?

Which ship were you on?

I find it odd that he has not been forthcoming with this information.

If you were there as you claim I'm sure you wouldn't have forgotten that the Conveyor was also hit by two Excocets, taking a lot of the helicopters, and more importantly most of the Mars Bars to the bottom when it sank.

---------- Post added 05-01-2013 at 17:20 ----------

I believe that all the Exocets that hit did explode. There were a lot of ships that were holed by bombs going all the way though them without detonating, which still lets the water in of course although not as catastrophically.

The one that hit HMS Sheffield failed to explode for a start. Many failed to explode.

Which ship were you on?

HMS Invincible

I was an Air Engineering Mechanic in the Fleet Air Arm.

Edited by maxmaximus

I find it odd that he has not been forthcoming with this information.

So what exactly are you trying to say?

Edited by Nesbitt

So what exactly are you trying to say?

I am saying you weren't forthcoming with your information. You are the first naval person I've known not to announce the name of your ship when talking about your service. A good few of my mates served in the RN, one even serving on the same ship as you.

I am saying you weren't forthcoming with your information. You are the first naval person I've known not to announce the name of your ship when talking about your service. A good few of my mates served in the RN, one even serving on the same ship as you.

I never claimed to be in the navy, or even in the services.:huh:

I never claimed to be in the navy, or even in the services.:huh:

Sorry, my eyes are all over the place. I read the wrong post against your name. D'oh!