Falkland Islands Tension increase

The ship I was on won us the war and it wasn't hit thnkfully. :)

Go on....it was the Starship Enterprise wasn't it?:suspect:

If all the exocets that hit our ships had exploded we would have lost the war. I would like to say a big thank you to the French for being incompetent.:)

Did many Exocets not explode, apart from the one that hit the Sheffield; which still caused enough damage to sink her? I thought it was the gravity bombs that were not exploding, due to the pilots flying too low when they dropped them.

At the time the Exocet was probably one of the best anti-ship missiles around.

I don't think that we can be too hard on the French as the Argentinian armed forces used weaponry sourced from the UK and the US as well.

Yes I've often wondered why we don't secretly install self destruct devices into the weapons we sell.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 19:19 ----------

Go on....it was the Starship Enterprise wasn't it?:suspect:

The Enterprise is a US aircraft carrier so no thats not the one. :D

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 19:25 ----------

Did many Exocets not explode, apart from the one that hit the Sheffield; which still caused enough damage to sink her? I thought it was the gravity bombs that were not exploding, due to the pilots flying too low when they dropped them.

At the time the Exocet was probably one of the best anti-ship missiles around.

I think it was only HMS Sheffield and HMS Glamorgan that were hit by Exocet.

Yes I've often wondered why we don't secretly install self destruct devices into the weapons we sell.

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 19:19 ----------

The Enterprise is a US aircraft carrier so no thats not the one. :D

---------- Post added 04-01-2013 at 19:25 ----------

I think it was only HMS Sheffield and HMS Glamorgan that were hit by Exocet.

There were many more ships hit by exocets. The Atlantic Conveyor was one of them. I believe that it was hit by two. Some ships were hit by them but they just went right through without exploding.

There were many more ships hit by exocets. The Atlantic Conveyor was one of them. I believe that it was hit by two. Some ships were hit by them but they just went right through without exploding.

Yes I forgot about the Atlantic Conveyor.

What other ships were hit then?

I don't recall now. I do remember reading a classified document however which emphasised our good fortune in that many exocets failed to explode. As the information was classified you will not be able to access it on the internet.:)

I don't recall now. I do remember reading a classified document however which emphasised our good fortune in that many exocets failed to explode. As the information was classified you will not be able to access it on the internet.:)

Are you sure that you're not mistaking the gravity bombs that were not exploding, due to the pilots flying too low when they were dropped? It was obviously decided to keep this classified so the Argentinians wouldn't amend their tactics.

Are you sure that you're not mistaking the gravity bombs that were not exploding, due to the pilots flying too low when they were dropped? It was obviously decided to keep this classified so the Argentinians wouldn't amend their tactics.

It is better that you choose to believe that, so yes, I got confused.:)

So you're in breach of the Official Secrets Act are you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFKvsNixon

I don't recall now. I do remember reading a classified document however which emphasised our good fortune in that many exocets failed to explode. As the information was classified you will not be able to access it on the internet.

Odd then, given this 'classified information' you were privy to, that the MOD decided to equip so many British warships with exocet, given they performed so poorly?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android