Suicide - is it a viable 'way out'?

I know from personal experience that there are so many different opinions and causal reasons regarding this ultimate act, but for some people, rich/poor and famous or not, it seems to be the way 'out'?

Some say those that commit suicide are selfish (bereaved loved ones)? Mentally/emotionally ill? Desperate? There are spiritual questions involved - is it a leap into eternal nothingness or judgement by their God/s? Some religions see suicide as a sin.

Personally, where kids aren't involved, I can't blame those that do it. Doesn't make it acceptable, but I don't disagree with the concept, so much of this life is unpalatable.

The English actor George Sanders committed suicide in 1972 aged 66, he had told his disbelieving friend David Niven in 1937 that he would do it one day. His note read-

"Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

As we're predominantly now a secular nation in practice and outlook, is suicide 'wrong'?

I know from personal experience that there are so many different opinions and causal reasons regarding this ultimate act, but for some people, rich/poor and famous or not, it seems to be the way 'out'?

Some say those that commit suicide are selfish (bereaved loved ones)? Mentally/emotionally ill? Desperate? There are spiritual questions involved - is it a leap into eternal nothingness or judgement by their God/s? Some religions see suicide as a sin.

Personally, where kids aren't involved, I can't blame those that do it. Doesn't make it acceptable, but I don't disagree with the concept, so much of this life is unpalatable.

The English actor George Sanders committed suicide in 1972 aged 66, he had told his disbelieving friend David Niven in 1937 that he would do it one day. His note read-

"Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck."

As we're predominantly now a secular nation in practice and outlook, is suicide 'wrong'?

i wouldnt say suicide is wrong, i just wish those who do it would consider other peoples feelings like families, friends & the emergency services personel who have to clear up the remains etc

I was thinking about this last night and arrived at this view. But then i thought what if those kids were taken away by an evil bitch? That could drive anyone to do some crazy things. your mind is not at a good place, so its easy to say that from our clear state.

Funny you should mention that!

Life is tough, but for some not even rewarding enough to make it worthwhile.

I certainly don't think its a cowards way out and for some its the only way. Some have demons that they can no longer cope with whether they have had help or not.

A very good friend of my family hanged himself and this was through drugs as well as other things that sent him mentally unstable - he wanted out and felt it was his only way to be at peace. Although its his family and friends that miss him so much now - we can take some comfort in the fact that he is no longer tortured.

I certainly don't think its a cowards way out

we can take some comfort in the fact that he is no longer tortured.

I agree on both counts. Tragic and heart-breaking as it is for us left behind.

Anyone that has not contemplated suicide cannot understand or rationalise it. Unless someone has been in circumstances that have lead to them thinking that the 'best way is out ' then they will never understand it .a little like someone saying they are starving when really they are just hungry. Until someone experiences it they never truly understand it .

Anyone that has not contemplated suicide cannot understand or rationalise it. Unless someone has been in circumstances that have lead to them thinking that the 'best way is out ' then they will never understand it .a little like someone saying they are starving when really they are just hungry. Until someone experiences it they never truly understand it .

Absolutely spot on :)

It's a tragic act in a tragic world.

The only time it should be a way out is for people of failing or dreadful quality of life.

The saddest thing is when people kill themselves due to depression and the like. It's a tragedy when someone could easily have swung back round to enjoy many more years, but took away their own opportunity for doing so........

I can't imagine the utter despair that must be going through the minds of people who are attempting it though. So, so sad.

I intend to go on my own terms when I've had enough. I don't intend to have kids and I think those close to me would understand.

For some it is a way out and i can understand if you have a terminal illness but as in Gary Speeds case, someone who appears to have everything the question on everyone's mind is why.

For some it is a way out and i can understand if you have a terminal illness but as in Gary Speeds case, someone who appears to have everything the question on everyone's mind is why.

But there you have it ! 'appears' to have everything . Unless you're in his position you'll never know why or what the thought trail was that lead to his actions .