Public sector strike, student fees protests and Occupy Sheffield.

I sympathise with the public sector but I also think that all these cuts happened in the private sector three years ago. Everyone's feeling the pinch, not just the public sector. The difference is that the private sector doesnt tend to strike cuz it gets them nowhere (apart from that one step closer to redundancy).

If the public sector workers were on such a terrible deal and the private sector is doing so much better the public sector workers would be deserting in droves. They aren't. They are staying put and just moaning about it. The bottom line is that they are getting a good deal, the government know it, the unions know it, the public knows it and the staff know it. The unions want to use the issue to wage their usual futile and self defeating class war but in the end they will settle because they have nowhere else to go.

If the public sector workers were on such a terrible deal and the private sector is doing so much better the public sector workers would be deserting in droves. They aren't. They are staying put and just moaning about it. The bottom line is that they are getting a good deal, the government know it, the unions know it, the public knows it and the staff know it. The unions want to use the issue to wage their usual futile and self defeating class war but in the end they will settle because they have nowhere else to go.

What PSWs lose on wages they gain on pensions, or rather did. That is changing.

what utter bull

Yep - because all those jobs that Dave promised would be created in the private sector to allow for "deserting in droves" are there in the 1000s aren't they?

Just because people are staying put (ie staying in a job) does not correlate to getting a good deal. It means the alternative is signing on.

Edited by pottedplant

Junedee - it shocks me how many people would rather throw stones as the world crumbles around them, than do some pro-active towards making it a better place.

The Occupy movement is in no way a failure. Here are my thoughts on what the Occupiers have achieved... http://jonmaiden.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/what-has-the-occupy-movement-achieved/

I don't think the strike action of public sector workers has any effect. The unions seem to encourage having sufficient staff available for work so as not to cause too much inconvenience. Hence Cameron referring to past action as a "damp squid"

Surely strike action is supposed to cause disruption to get the point across?

was there any strike action in Sheffield at all on 10 May? didn't seem to me that anyone was protesting... news talked about off-duty bobbies around uk protesting but didn't see much of that here

Nope. It would if EVERYBODY stood together, but that wont happen.

But wait......... If I called a protest tomorrow for everyone in the world to meet at the town hall because if 2 million people attended, the government would give us all £5000 and a tax break for a year and a £50 marks and spencers voucher, I bet the whole of the UK would turn up....... Ahh, what a thought. It goes to show that people are self-obscessed, and would only do something if they thought THEY would personally gain from it.

Actually, if they DID do that, rather than use the money to bail out the banks, bail out the EU etc. there's a chance it could help solve the country's financial problems.

Australia did something similar and it boosted their economy and kept it afloat.

Things haven't even started yet. Wait until Greece goes under (anytime soon) and what we've experienced so far will seem like a walk in the park.

As everyone scrambles to blame each other in the ensuing chaos, remember the government, be it Condem or Labour, will try to blame you, and set you against each other to deflect blame from themselves and the banks.

This isn't your fault. Stick together. Don't let them use the media to divide and conquer.

Does anyone think the public sector strikes last Wednesday or student fees protests earlier this year acheived or changed anything?

Were there public sector strikes last Wednesday? It's news to me.

I (private sector) was not on strike of course. Well, somebody has to earn the money to pay for all these public sector pensions.