Public sector strike, student fees protests and Occupy Sheffield.

Seeing that union leaders appear to be accepting the governments proposals for pension change, students are accepting the changes to fees and Occupy Sheffield still don't have any positive plans on how to make the changes they want have these protests been of any use ?

What is being reported on the news channels appears to be quite different at the moment to what is appearing on the union websites, many which were updated yesterday.

People always knew the pensions had to change however the government wanted it all completely their way. A staggered change is much more agreeable as it means people have a choice if to continue to work in the public sector / pay into the new pension scheme and plan for the long term. I know that as soon as jobs pick up I will be out of the public sector and into private.

One thing that really has opened my eyes is looking at my two grand parents, one has always worked, bought their own house and paid into a private pension, she is comepletely skint and pays for her own care. My other one never worked, has had housing bennefit for most of her life and has much more disposable income and gets free care. When speaking to friends who work in the private sector I asked if they have sorted out a pension scheme, they tell me they cannot afford it but live in houses that are twice the cost of mine with double the morgage and the majority have at least 1/3 pay more than me. I've already been paying into a pension for ten years when they have saved away nothing.

I think I need to have a considerable change in the way I think of money and spend it when I can because you will not be rewarded for saving in your old age.

Edited by Evei

Does anyone think the public sector strikes last Wednesday or student fees protests earlier this year acheived or changed anything ?

Has Occupy Sheffield achieved or changed anything ?

The fact that you're discussing it here does suggest that the protesters actions have achieved something, namely putting their grievances into the larger public domain. If enough of the public support the protesters, politicians being politicians will try to curry the publics favour and try to accommodate the some of the protesters complaints.

Does anyone think the public sector strikes last Wednesday or student fees protests earlier this year acheived or changed anything ?

Has Occupy Sheffield achieved or changed anything ?

They've managed nothing as yet and won't.

The lot are just pointless loons without a clue. :)

You mean like the good old days when,miners,steelworkers,train drivers etc had proper strikes lasting for months?I hope not.

I seriously believe that the strike last month will make the figures look better than they actually were.

If there were more strikes, then the strikers would be in the shops spending, prehaps even buying cars - in effect, saving many businesses from going under by spending there cash

I seriously believe that the strike last month will make the figures look better than they actually were.

If there were more strikes, then the strikers would be in the shops spending, prehaps even buying cars - in effect, saving many businesses from going under by spending there cash

Don't you believe that the money that is being lost by the people who are striking might start to have an effect upon peoples spending?

of course it has, the bankers who ruined the country willnot be forgotten whilst we got these good people reminmding us

Nope. It would if EVERYBODY stood together, but that wont happen.

But wait......... If I called a protest tomorrow for everyone in the world to meet at the town hall because if 2 million people attended, the government would give us all £5000 and a tax break for a year and a £50 marks and spencers voucher, I bet the whole of the UK would turn up....... Ahh, what a thought. It goes to show that people are self-obscessed, and would only do something if they thought THEY would personally gain from it.

The idea has some merit, but when you call everyone to meet at the town hall, that is called a meeting, not a protest. Obviously we cannot call the whole world to a meeting at Sheffield town hall, nor even the whole country, but we can call Sheffield to a meeting...

What is it you'd want to talk about though?

Nope. It would if EVERYBODY stood together, but that wont happen.

But wait......... If I called a protest tomorrow for everyone in the world to meet at the town hall because if 2 million people attended, the government would give us all £5000 and a tax break for a year and a £50 marks and spencers voucher, I bet the whole of the UK would turn up....... Ahh, what a thought. It goes to show that people are self-obscessed, and would only do something if they thought THEY would personally gain from it.

Here here :clap::clap:

I sympathise with the public sector but I also think that all these cuts happened in the private sector three years ago. Everyone's feeling the pinch, not just the public sector. The difference is that the private sector doesnt tend to strike cuz it gets them nowhere (apart from that one step closer to redundancy).

I wrote this article in response to some glaring misconceptions about the Occupy Movement. If you have doubts, as I did too, then it's worth a read...

http://jonmaiden.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/busting-myths-about-the-occupy-movement

In a nutshell, yes the Occupy protest has had an impact both on a local and global level. Occupy wouldn't have been nominated by Channel 4 News as one of the most influential people of 2011 if it had not!

Bet Jon feels a bit of an idiot now - after the failure of the Occupy Sheffield clowns.

its a pity this country is getting shafted left right and centre but people who voted tory/libdems think its ok :loopy:this country needs to pull together like the french do when they revolt against the gov :hihi:

How's that 19th century class war going? Still losing? I'm not surprised.