Beck primary school closed 6/12/11

Sister just messaged me. Beck primary is closed tomorrow due to a heating failure apparently.

where's that? I've lived in sheffield for over 40 years and I have never heard of that one.

It has re-opened today. My daughter went in today, they are using fires that use LPG (LPG, GPL, LP Gas, or liquid propane gas) which can trigger breathing difficulties (asthma attacks) also headaches, coughing and general feeling unwell, i have questioned the school about it there reply was 'well the the fires are safe and are not leaking and sort of gas' no maybe not but i went in this morning it smelt strongly of gas and had headache all day from the smell of it. My daughter is asthmatic so its safer for her not to go to school until these fires are no longer used and the heating is in full working order. I rang the education department this morning to ask if i was in my rights to take my child out of school for the sake of her health they told me to get a doctors note to back me up and then her days off will be authorised. The kids are in class rooms with these fires and the windows and doors closed so if your child complains of feel unwell id get them seen to as soon as possible. Im not sending my daughter back until the heating is fully working! hope your child is ok

I took my two in this morning, the windows were open in the classroom and my daughter said the class door was left open all day, I asked her if it smelt and she said it didn't. I can understand you wanting to keep your child off but I wanted to say well done to the school for staying open. The letter said it's a gas leak under the playground.

i think its gud that they have opened but is it really safe to open the school wen there is a gas leak under the playground? my daughters class had all the windows closed and the door too.

I was there this afternoon and I applaud the school for trying to maintain things as normal as possible for the children. As for the gas leak under the playground safety is paramount and the supply has been turned off until they are sure there is no longer a leak. The portable heaters are being used with the rooms well ventilated and are the same type that have been used in these situations many many times in the past with no problem.

im not saying i think its wrong that they are at school im saying that my daughters health comes first as with any parent wud in my situations. Yes its all good that Beck are trying to keep it 'normal' for the kids and parents. my daughter has told me the door and windows were all closed all day, but i was told by reception that all rooms were ventilated with both windows and doors opened!

I can understand some parents being concerned and wanting to keep them off etc if they have asthma etc, just hope they get it sorted quickly. Can't be nice for the staff either.

I can understand some parents being concerned and wanting to keep them off etc if they have asthma etc, just hope they get it sorted quickly. Can't be nice for the staff either.

At least u do understand where im coming from. I no it wont be nice for the staff either but if its that bad then y open the school ? it is good that they are trying though and i support it but im not putting my daughter at risk. I hope its fixed quickly too!

On monday beck road school on the shiregreen had a gas leak meaning that it didn`t open yesterday (tuesday). It opened today by using portable gas heaters in the classroom. This has got to be totally unsafe. Acording to my grandchildren they have small, inadiquate grills over them and that a chair melted because it was too close to it. This could easily have been a childs leg. Surely they shouldn`t open until the heating has been properly fixed.:loopy: