Calling all Cottams and Friends of Cottams

To avoid duplication of effort... (posted at Sheffield Indexers)

Burials...

'John' in te first entry has to be a mistake.

Mary Sharpe is Mary Cottam the daughter who married Edwin Sharpe in 1876.

General Cemetery, Sharrow

Consecrated Section

section A3 grave 40

14 Mar 1876 17 Mar 1876 Mary Cottam 65 Wife of John Cottam, coachman 49 Cecil Road

1 Dec 1876 5 Dec 1876 William Cottam 62 Coachman 49 Cecil Road

12-Apr-1921 15-Apr-1921 Edwin Sharpe 70 Cooper 133 Alderson Road

18-Sep-1911 21-Sep-1911 Ethel Sharpe 25 Spinster 132 Alderson Rd

31 Jan 1882 4 Feb 1882 Florence Ann Sharpe 8m D. of Edwin Sharpe, cooper 17 Sherrington Road

19-Mar-1926 24-Mar-1926 Mary Sharpe 80 Widow Fir Vale Union

20 Oct 1877 23 Oct 1877 Mary Edith Sharpe 2d D. of Edwin Sharpe, cooper 49 Cecil Road

9 Dec 1881 13 Dec 1881 William Edwin Sharpe 3 Son of Edwin Sharpe, cooper 17 Sherrington Road

The dates are dates of death and burial.

Hugh

This is a thread for Cottams, descendents of Cottams and friends of Cottams. All welcome to join in.

As noted by other forum members there are a fair number of Cottams on this site. So you can use this thread to leave messages here for lost Cottam friends and family. Anyone doing family history research involving Cottams? Well here is a place to leave requests for information. Also a place for Cottams to stay in touch or meet others. And to celebrate all things Cottam.

There aren't all that many of us - Cottam is one of the rarer English family names - but there is a whole clutch of us in and around Sheffield, particularly South Yorks, Notts and Lancs.

Did you know that most Cottams originate from one of a small number of villages in the north and midlands of England? There is a Cottam village in Notts, one in Lancs and one in the East Riding of Yorks.

Bit of history now: Cottam is an Anglo-Saxon name, so we have been around for a while, and roughly translated means settlement of cottagers - ie cott + ham. 'Ham' is seen in a lot of English placenames (eg Nottingham) and is related to the modern English word 'home', but is probably better translated as 'dwelling' or 'settlement'. There is also a Cotham in Notts, which is of similar derivation.

Cottam is NOT a derivation of Cotton. And those of us with the name have probably all tired of people not listening properly and spelling our name like that...

Any Cottams out there feel free to check in and say hi!

Cottam67

HI I Knew a family of Cottams who took over a vacant shop about 1947 corner of Sutherland rd and Petre st l fitted it out with work benches , women dressed crabs and potted them the father was called Joe anyone remember them. Arthur.

Hi,

I have just stumbled across this fascinating thread whilst researching the history of The Priory a large country house in South Leverton in Notts. In the 19th century it was owned by John Andrew Cottam ( born 1855 ) who was the son of John Cottam of East Retford (born 1806 ) They were a very wealthy family and i have compiled an interesting history over several generations. If anyone is related or interested in the Retford Cottams i would love to hear from them:)

Hi

have just found this thread and I know it's old but if anyone is around I am another Cottam and I live in London. My Dad was born in Lincolnshire. My sister is researching our family tree and any help would be gratefully received. So if there are any Cottams out there who may be related to a George Ivan Cottam born in Spalding in 1922 please get in touch.

Thanks

Pauline

That would be my Father "Arthur"

I knew an Arthur Cottam at Nether Edge Grammar in the 1950's

---------- Post added 18-02-2015 at 13:44 ----------

i used to work for a company in Chesterfield called "Arthur Cottam (Horseshoes) Ltd" it was family run business passed down through generations of Cottams sine about 1920's

The first owner was Arthur Cottam, then his son Arthur Cottam and now the present owner Arthur Cottam helped with his son Paul Cottam and daughter Jane Fox

Were still going although relocated to Chesterfield in 1980

Hi,

My dad John William Cottam 1920-1974 was the son of Wilfred Cottam 1876-1930 (your Arthur's brother) and Sophia. I don't know much about your side but my dad always told me we had a well to do side of the family who made horseshoes and they lived in the posh area of Millhouses.

I did try to find out more about the "posh" side while I was collecting information for my family tree (Ancestry) but couldn't find anyone who would tell me anything. Through my family tree I have found relatives living all over the world especially Australia, America and Canada and have stayed in contact with some of them. One of them came over to England from Australia and came to see us while he was here. I also met another one from Australia who contacted me via Ancestry and we met up last year.

If there are any Cottam meet ups I would love to attend.

I have just moved from Sheffield where I was born 1947 to Carlton in Lindrick which is where my tree starts in the 1700s.

Hi,

My dad John William Cottam 1920-1974 was the son of Wilfred Cottam 1876-1930 (your Arthur's brother) and Sophia. I don't know much about your side but my dad always told me we had a well to do side of the family who made horseshoes and they lived in the posh area of Millhouses.

I did try to find out more about the "posh" side while I was collecting information for my family tree (Ancestry) but couldn't find anyone who would tell me anything. Through my family tree I have found relatives living all over the world especially Australia, America and Canada and have stayed in contact with some of them. One of them came over to England from Australia and came to see us while he was here. I also met another one from Australia who contacted me via Ancestry and we met up last year.

If there are any Cottam meet ups I would love to attend.

I have just moved from Sheffield where I was born 1947 to Carlton in Lindrick which is where my tree starts in the 1700s.

Hi we are indeed the Millhouses lot my Farther Arthur (3) passed away in 2009 and he left some info he had been researching on the family tree including some contact with American relative and the Australian connection he had an Fredrick Wilfred as one of Arthur (1) 1884-1937 brother i assume this was your Grandfather?

I have tried to send you a private message but dont have enough posts to message you directly my email is paulcottam (AT) outlook.com

The (AT) needs replacing with the @ Symbol

This is a thread for Cottams, descendents of Cottams and friends of Cottams. All welcome to join in.

As noted by other forum members there are a fair number of Cottams on this site. So you can use this thread to leave messages here for lost Cottam friends and family. Anyone doing family history research involving Cottams? Well here is a place to leave requests for information. Also a place for Cottams to stay in touch or meet others. And to celebrate all things Cottam.

There aren't all that many of us - Cottam is one of the rarer English family names - but there is a whole clutch of us in and around Sheffield, particularly South Yorks, Notts and Lancs.

Did you know that most Cottams originate from one of a small number of villages in the north and midlands of England? There is a Cottam village in Notts, one in Lancs and one in the East Riding of Yorks.

Bit of history now: Cottam is an Anglo-Saxon name, so we have been around for a while, and roughly translated means settlement of cottagers - ie cott + ham. 'Ham' is seen in a lot of English placenames (eg Nottingham) and is related to the modern English word 'home', but is probably better translated as 'dwelling' or 'settlement'. There is also a Cotham in Notts, which is of similar derivation.

Cottam is NOT a derivation of Cotton. And those of us with the name have probably all tired of people not listening properly and spelling our name like that...

Any Cottams out there feel free to check in and say hi!

Cottam67

I used to go to school with a Paul cottam,he used to live just off her rise road near the northern general hospital. He joined the police force last I heard of him. Often wonder what he's doing now as he was a great lad. He will be 54/55 years old now

Hi, I am looking for a Andrew James Glenister or a Tracey A Glenister who were the children of Lorna Agnes Cottam . Her father was Arthur Leonard Cottam who was born in Wakefield in 1910. Lorna was born in Scotland in 1949. Andrew was born in Portsmouth in 1972 and Tracey in Hannover in 1969. Any help appreciated as I have found a living sister of Lorna who would like to meet them again

regards

Jim

I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me. My great great grandfather was William Cottam born 1872 Kexby, Gainsborough. He married a Sarah Anne Foster in Grimsby in 1893. They had a daughter, Annie Cottam b 1894 in Gainsborough. By 1901 he and his daughter resided in Oakes Green, Attercliffe. Annie stayed in Sheffield until she died in 1969, she married James Willie Ludlam in 1916 and their daughter Iris was born later the same year. William Cottam died in Grantham aged 91 and although from humble beginnings he died a very wealthy man.

Please let me know if you think you might be able to assist my research and don't hesitate to contact me if you think I might be able to help yours.

I have only just found this forum and am so much hoping that some of the COTTAMS are still active on it, having seen your posts from 2005. My father was Albert Bailey, first son of Phyllis BAILEY before she married Lewis James COTTAM.  Sadly, Albert died in 2008. He was in Fulwood Cottage Homes probably from 1936/7 and remembered walking the Cottam children to school. He was never quite sure if Jim Cottam was his father - Phyllis said so but Jim always denied it. I'd love to share more information with you.