Calling all Cottams and Friends of Cottams

I am hoping that some of you lovely Cottam people can help me. I am researching the family tree of Augustus William Craven (Bn 1858 ) He married Nellie Redgate Cottam in 1921. ( Augustus was older than Nellie's father!)

Nellie ( known as Helen ) was born in 1884 in London.

She was the daughter of John Charles Cottam ( Born 1860 in Nottingham ) and Annie Redgate ( Born 1863, Shardlow, Derbyshire. )

I am looking for the ancestors Of John Charles Cottam. ( 1860 )

All I know of John Charles was that he made it big, very big, and became an extremely wealthy man. He travelled all over the place. He invested heavily in the USA. Unfortunately he lost everything in the 1929 Wall Street Crash and committed suicide as a result.

I can only find birth details in BMD index, and a census entry from 1901, living in Kent

If any of you can fill in any pieces I would be most grateful.

Nick Stevens

Hi there I am doing research in to the cottam family from sheffield.I am looking for relatives of George Henry Cottam who married annie stephen from hull,can anyone help me out here.

please call 07946 260439 gill

Hi Gillian 1957

I believe that my great grandfather's eldest brother, was a George Henry Cottam born c.1871 and his wife was Annie although I know no more than that. He appears on 1901 census as living at 291 Gleadless Road. He was the son of George Hall Cottam (1848-1900). Are we talking about the same George H?

four five

My great, great, great grandfather, John Cottam b 1825 in Scotton had a younger brother called Vincent who was born in 1833 and by 1861 he was living in Sheffield. John Cottam's parents were James Cottam b.1801 and Sarah b.1804 in either Scotter or Scotton.

Hi there thanks for the reply,yes we are talking about the same cottam.I am interested in george cottam junior, who married annie stephen in hull.

I think they left sheffield and went to hull and then got married.

He lived in hull and was a licensed vitualer.

Thanks for your help

regards

Gill

Hi Gill

Sorry, I don't know any more about George H. Did he stay in Hull.. How are you related to him?

Hi! Good to know you've joined the network as well. We're planning a little cottam-fisher get together in Sheff - would be great if you could come along too!

cottam67

Hi, Am back again, I have recovered. Missed the chats and all the posts. We must do something about the cottam/fisher get together. Uncle John has started researching my dads side of the family (Hardman). He keeps unearthing lots of long lost fishers. Lol always thought our family was big but didn't realise how big. Hows ya mum and dad and all the clan? remember to say hi to them for me.

Hi, Am back again, I have recovered. Missed the chats and all the posts. We must do something about the cottam/fisher get together. Uncle John has started researching my dads side of the family (Hardman). He keeps unearthing lots of long lost fishers. Lol always thought our family was big but didn't realise how big. Hows ya mum and dad and all the clan? remember to say hi to them for me.

Spoke too soon was going to see if could arrange a meeting during the school hols, that would have been a good time but am on crutches now lol after trying a flying lesson in the classroom. suspected fractured kneecap. oh well shall have to wait for next hols.:(

Hi my name is Ian Cottam son of terence cottam grandson of alfred cottam my grandfather lived on henly grove rd Rotherham and i beleive worked at guest and chrimes he was volunteer policeman during the war. my father was a coachbuilder by trade and worked for the corperation before moving to scarborough. I know nothing of my family history or its roots iwas pleased to find to find reference to the name on this forum

A young lad who suffered with Muscular Dystrophy was called Peter Cottam. My young Son who also had MD. was a friend of his whilst attending Oaks Park School, Norton, Sheffield. He was about 11 yrs old when he left his parents and the Hallam Branch of the Muscular Dystrophy Group during late 1970 early 1980s.

From memory he lived with his parents on Bevan Way, Chapletown, Sheffield.

In the late sixties my elder brother had a very good friend called Mick Cottam, who lived near Chaucer Rd Shops, Parson Cross.

He was very "Mod" like in his appearance, basing his look on (I reckon) Stevie Marriott of The Small Faces

Other friends would be Ron and Geoff.

They're all about 57 now