Calling all Cottams and Friends of Cottams

Has anyone come across an Albert Bailey or Jimmy Cottam - they would now be in their 70s?

Hi Cottam67

I am glad we have found each other after all this time, had great fun at your house when I was young, glad to hear your sister is on here too. I have fond memories of when you came to my gran and grandads, we had great times back then. What I am glad about is I plucked up the courage to pm you, I saw your mum + dad in feb he came to see my mum, she was really happy to see them. ( by the way your dad dosn't seem to age if he came on here he could come on as Peter Pan).

Anyway i'm going to shut up now.

Peppermint

Everyone

Peppermint is a friend of cottams, from a long line of cottam friends. Great to meet you again too peppermint.

Note what you say about my dad not aging... There is something in the genes of our cottam branch that allegedly resists aging, but it also helps that my dad has a portrait in the attic!

Lavender and cottam you should introduce yourself...

cottam67

Peppermint,

I only have vague memories from childhood but it's hard to forget someone after I've had the infamous "stairs incident" repeated so often when growing up! :rolleyes:

Nice to meet you again after so long.

Lavender

Does anyone lay claim to these children, buried in Walkley Cemetery?

The transcription is incomplete so the parents may be buried there as well...

COTTAM Charles buried 30 Aug 1896

address: 5 Cross Addy St age 13

grave: C286

COTTAM May buried 13 Feb 1897

address: 5 Cross Addey St age: 2

grave: C530

COTTAM Violet 7 Mar 1900

address: 5 Cross Addey St age: 2m

grave: C681

These are all public graves.

I think from the 1891 census that the parents were Charles and Mary and they lived at 28 Crookes Road. Charles was a brewery drayman. There were 7 other children in 1891, all but the youngest born in Nottinghmashire.

Hugh (Friends of Walkley Cemetery)

Originally posted by Lavender

Peppermint,

I only have vague memories from childhood but it's hard to forget someone after I've had the infamous "stairs incident" repeated so often when growing up! :rolleyes:

Nice to meet you again after so long.

Lavender

ah the infamous "stairs incident" yes I have spoken to your sister about this, thats was my first life saving attempt I think

:D , she sent me a picture today and it took me straight back to my childhood. I was trying to work out how long our families have been friends, think I need the help of Uncle John on that one. I have always thought of your family as part of my family I always have and always will:thumbsup:

peppermint

Hello from the US. My great grandfather, Vincent Cottam was born in Ohio, but his father, William, came from England about 1820. I don't know anything else about William and would love to be able to find my English roots. Vincent seems to have been a common name for Cottams. My great grandfather named his son Charles, and Charles named his son Vincent. Any chance that there are Cottams here who are related to me?

Hoping to hear soon,

Casey

Hi,

My nan was Edith Cottam , born in Sheffield in 1909.......her parents were Thomas Edwin Cottam and Edith Simpson also born sheffield........my nan had quite a few brothers and sisters........John William (Jack), Annie, Thomas, Arthur, George, Sam and Frederick........

I have traced this family back to Nottinghamshire in the mid 1700's............

Anyone out there related to me!!!???................:)

Huw W, Casey6941 and Jatk

Hi guys! Welcome to the cottam clan. I see you are related to nottinghamshire cottams - I will forward your info to MrsC who is the keeper of the nottinghamshire cottam information. She might be able to help you.

Do you guys have access to local UK records - I notice that some of you live overseas?

cottam67

I had a teacher at School who went by the name of Cottam!

The City School, Sheffield

He was an History teacher i thinks??? Malcolm Cottam???

He went on Blind date as well apparently!

Matt

Hi Huw

sorry, I put your name on the previous mail in error - realise that you are a friend of cottams, rather than a relative!

It is very interesting what you say about the graves and the census info. I always had a strong feeling that the sheffield cottams were most likely to have originated from nottinghamshire. That is because there was a tradition of people moving from notts villages to sheffield looking for jobs. (It being our nearest and most accessible city.)

As I noted in the first posting, there are relatively few villages called cottam and erroneously many people (particularly Americians) seem to believe the name originated from Lancs.

While it is possible that Lancashire cottams moved to Sheffield, I would imagine it was more likely that they would move to one of the local mill towns, which were soaking up workers at that time. Therefore my belief is that the Sheffield Cottams are most likely from Notts.

There were fairly rich cottams - with businesses and suchlike - here in north notts in the 1800s and through into the 1900s. I will have a check with Mrs C the cottam historian here in notts and see what info we have.

Very sad about the graves - I note that they are all young children :(

cottam67

Hi Cottam genealogists

Mrs C has come up with a lot of info on Notts cottams. I will post on here but divide it up for easy access.

cottam67