Calling all Cottams and Friends of Cottams

This is a thread for Cottams, descendents of Cottams and friends of Cottams. All welcome to join in.

As noted by other forum members there are a fair number of Cottams on this site. So you can use this thread to leave messages here for lost Cottam friends and family. Anyone doing family history research involving Cottams? Well here is a place to leave requests for information. Also a place for Cottams to stay in touch or meet others. And to celebrate all things Cottam.

There aren't all that many of us - Cottam is one of the rarer English family names - but there is a whole clutch of us in and around Sheffield, particularly South Yorks, Notts and Lancs.

Did you know that most Cottams originate from one of a small number of villages in the north and midlands of England? There is a Cottam village in Notts, one in Lancs and one in the East Riding of Yorks.

Bit of history now: Cottam is an Anglo-Saxon name, so we have been around for a while, and roughly translated means settlement of cottagers - ie cott + ham. 'Ham' is seen in a lot of English placenames (eg Nottingham) and is related to the modern English word 'home', but is probably better translated as 'dwelling' or 'settlement'. There is also a Cotham in Notts, which is of similar derivation.

Cottam is NOT a derivation of Cotton. And those of us with the name have probably all tired of people not listening properly and spelling our name like that...

Any Cottams out there feel free to check in and say hi!

Cottam67

Please see quote from "Thursday" on the Fulwood Cottage Homes thread, copy below:

Originally posted by thursday

Out of interest, I've just looked in the phone book and found one in Bexhill, Sussex. ( a 'J' ) Any use?

Thursday.

Lavender

I was in the fulwood cottage homes for five yr's my brother and i landed up with the house mothers from hell who today would certainly spend jail time, we at no time where able to visit my sister in the girls house, but I remember being quite shocked when my friend told me he had a nice kind house mother. I hope your relative landed up with one of these kinder souls

Ive managed to trace my Cottam decendents back to Vincent Cottam of Scotton, Lincolnshire. He moved to Brightside around 1860 - 1870s.

Are there any other Cottam's on this forum with the same ancestor ?

Fourfive

Do you have any notts cottams on your branch? There was a whole family of them in Notts in the eighteenth/nineteenth century?

cottam67

Hi Flyer

Luck of the draw isn't it? No my dad had a bad housemother, although his three brothers had a nice one. Do you remember the name of the bad housemother you had - maybe it's the same one. (What cottage number were you in?)

My dad was not allowed to see his sister either once he was old enough to leave the girls' cottage and go into a boys' cottage.

Do you remember any cottams at FCH? Cottam's mother was in FCH in the 40s as was my dad.

Cottam67

Hi Flyer

Just checking that your not related, do you know your mum and dads name or your brothers or sisters,you might be able to help me or I you,look foreward to your reply.My mum was the cottam who was in FCH and she had six brothers one of who died when he was about 10 13yrs old.It is such a sad situation that my mum lost her family for 60yrs but I did find 2 of her brothers 2mths ago, let me know if you need any help with anything.

Bye

HI cottam67 yes i remember the names well i was in 2 with a very nasty m Bull, I know one lad who had been got our of a bombed house his parents dead,was beaten every day for 3yrs for wetting the bed. #3 was in the tender care of m Milner who was a lot worst,my brother along with many others was beaten so badly around the head he was never was the same. #1 was very bad but i could go for ever and write a book the wounds are very deep

Originally posted by flyer

HI cottam67 yes i remember the names well i was in 2 with a very nasty m Bull, I know one lad who had been got our of a bombed house his parents dead,was beaten every day for 3yrs for wetting the bed. #3 was in the tender care of m Milner who was a lot worst,my brother along with many others was beaten so badly around the head he was never was the same. #1 was very bad but i could go for ever and write a book the wounds are very deep

you should write that book, wasnt someone on here (moniker sdiddy) or something asking for writers about their history, they are publishers, books on history and old sheffield especially memories are very popular, like fred pass's were me dad and such...it may help you deal with the pain you sufferred and release it

just a thought

regards

SW :)

Hi ScreamingWitch. Many thanks for your encouragement.

My Dad was in the FCH. He's never talked much about how horrible the experience was until recently and I'm sure we havent had the full story yet.

Having spoken to other ex-children of the FCH, the experience seems too raw, painful and upsetting for them to write the book yet, perhaps their children will write it for them eventually.

Cottam67 suggested a website on one of the other threads, which could be used to share experiences and communicate. This seems a good idea - to talk about their experiences among themselves might start their healing process.

Best wishes

Lavender

Hi everyone - can we keep the FCH discussion on the other threads that thursday and cottam started, interesting though it is. That way we can keep a more focused discussion.

This thread is for people looking for cottams or wanting to talk about cottam stuff. Like genealogy or memories about cottams. I know the two subjects overlap because there were a lot of cottams in FCH, but if we do that then it'll help us all chat more clearly. Hands up I'm guilty too, so I'm not pointing fingers!

Thanks everyone.

cottam67

I had a friend in the early 60s.Roger Cottam.

He lived up Shiregreen at the time.

Roger was a painter and sign writer.

I would be grateful if anyone had information