Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Yes that was Winters Bakery. I used to love the custards while still warm, not tasted anything like them since. can't quite place the policebox though!!:huh:

I worked on trinity street, and on a saturday we would get the morning sarnies from the bakery on meadow street, sold "dive in custards" as we called them as they were as deep as a pork pie, baco ,sos and tom 12 pence each wrapped in a plastic bag still red hot when we got back to work

Edited by sid63
spelling

I worked in the old Richardsons building making dining furniture before one of the new lads burnt it down. we spent two days salvaging what we could...

Hi Everybody!

Only just found this thread, so apologies for missing it on earlier visits to the Forum.

I was born in 1946, just off Hammond St. (Hammond Place), which itself was just off St. Philip's Road. These particular one up, one down slums (there was an attic, too cold and damp to use, and an off-shot tiny kitchen) were demolished in the mid- to late fifties - we moved to Firth Park when I was ten, into a three bedroom 'sunshine type' house and I had my own bedroom - it was like a palace!

Memories of the area are fading a little now, but here are a few that I can recall:

Many happy hours shopping "wi mi mam" on Meadow St., especially at Melias (their haslet was, and still is, the best I've ever tasted);

The excitement of "gooin' t'pictures" - remember The Weston, The Roscoe, The Unity, The Scala, etc.?;

Having my hair cut at Ted's (what was his surname?) on St. Philip's Road, sitting on a piece of wood which was placed across the arms of the barber's chair;

Playing for hours with my mates in Joe Beer's tyre stock - tyres used to be stacked up in columns and you could hide inside the stacks then pop up and 'shoot' the baddies!;

Exploring for hours in the bombed-out houses that were all around us, ignoring all the dire warnings about the dangerous conditions;

Watching my grandma sorting rags in the rag-and-bone man's yard (her name was Matilda 'Tilly' Wood, and she was the best rag sorter in Sheffield, apparently);

Watching (through the scruffy windows) the cutlers and scissor-makes etc., around Upper Allen St., with their furnaces and grinding machines.

My family name is Gray, and I can recall other families called Knight, Betts and Moffat and we used to visit friends that lived on Edward St. flats - the Stimpsons.

No doubt more memories will come to me, especially if anyone responds to this posting and gives me a few prompts!

Happy Days!

Joe

ted furniss remember the plank well the piece of wood not ted. excuse the pun.

Ted Furniss wrote a booklet called the 'Walls of Jericho Street'.Sadly long out of print.

I have that book.Winters were the best custards in the world bar non But there is a butchers shop in Tickhill that makes them just like Winters a pound each and they are delicious.The old urinal was called the Iron Duke,I have a brass plaque with Taskers Engineering Co,Blonk St works Port Mahon anyone have any info on this company.

There was a car sales pitch near to the old urinal, I remember the prices written in whitewash on the windscreens. I tried to get my dad to buy a 1952 Vauxhall Velox priced at £220, a car which then looked modern!

Hi everyone, I don't come from this area and haven't read all your posts, but wonder if anyone has looked on http://www.picturesheffield.com........I have just typed Meadow Street in and some photos of Meadow Street, Morpeth Street and Hoyle Street have come up. There may be other streets/roads etc. that you remember also. I would like to know if this is of interest to you ??

Regards, Peter.

Have just tried to get on the website for Picture Sheffield again but there must be a problem at the moment. However I got on by typing picturesheffield in 'Ask Jeeves'

Edited by PeterR

Are you sure that was Jimmy Peacock you saw on the corner of near the church.

I remembere Jim when he retired but the man on the corner used to be Mr Beer who had a fruit shop on Fawcett Street.

hi all its been a long time since i was on the forum. i remember the beers used to have a fruit and veg shop on the corner of summer street as i used to live on summer street at no 25,but i was born on bethel street in 1956 moved to summer street when i was 2. i have a lot of happy memories of meadow street. i remember the iron duke " urinals" i remember it was green and in the middle of the bend in the road across from alf becketts chip shop. i also remember bishops & sons printers where you could tap on the little window and ask to buy off-cuts of paper for a penny or tuppence, they moved their premises to st phillips road due to demolition of old premises. i used to go to netherthorpe school up to being 11 then onto myers grove up to being 15. i see stuart glover most weekends in the white hart his brothers are called phil,andy and paul but he may have had more but they are the only ones i remember. sadly phil passed away some years ago.

must be many memories of the Meadow St Hotel in its heyday.

The last time I went in the Meadow Street Hotel was in the mid nineties not long before it closed .

I noticed it had old photograghs of Meadow Street on the wall.

The photographs had the old " iron duke " on and another one had a group of kids playing outside the printers shop [ Bishops ] where we used to go for a penneth of scrap paper.

I spotted myself on one of these photograghs and asked the landlord if it was possible to get a copy, he was " very helpful " and told me they didn't belong to him and had nothing to do with them.

After the pub closed I was told they were hung in the Forest pub up Rutland Road and that the same landlord took them there with him .

I don't know if this is true because it not a pub I have been in for many

many years. I'd love to know if they are still there.

I think that the car pitch was owned by Harry Mills at one time.

hi all its been a long time since i was on the forum. i remember the beers used to have a fruit and veg shop on the corner of summer street as i used to live on summer street at no 25,but i was born on bethel street in 1956 moved to summer street when i was 2. i have a lot of happy memories of meadow street. i remember the iron duke " urinals" i remember it was green and in the middle of the bend in the road across from alf becketts chip shop. i also remember bishops & sons printers where you could tap on the little window and ask to buy off-cuts of paper for a penny or tuppence, they moved their premises to st phillips road due to demolition of old premises. i used to go to netherthorpe school up to being 11 then onto myers grove up to being 15. i see stuart glover most weekends in the white hart his brothers are called phil,andy and paul but he may have had more but they are the only ones i remember. sadly phil passed away some years ago.

Beers moved from the old property at the corner of Fawcett Street and Mushroom Lane during the slum clearance. They went to the newly built shop at the corner of Summer Street / Mushroom Lane.

I remember Stuart Glover at school, he was a bully and with what I've heard he hasn't changed much since.