Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

You were long after, mine was 1944,I remember playing all over that area from Watery Lane and Hammond street where we lived to Weston Park,the playground on the tip now called The Ponderosa,St Stephens playground,Lambert Street flats playground,all the cinemas in the area.THE Roscoe,The Weston.The Oxford,The Unity and The Don.

We wondered all over no harm ever came to us and we were never bored.

I'll PM you later if thats ok.

Wow! What a thread, I have just read them all and memories have come flooding back. I used to Live at 297 St Phillips Road, the house next door to the old Nat West bank at the end of the road where the railings are still there.

I used to walk along Meadow Street to attend Netherthorpe School. Does anyone remember Miss Hammond, Mrs Hayes (dinner lady)?

Hudson's was around then and Ray used to talk to my father alot, they became good friends back then. I still visit the area and just think back to the good days.

Does anyone remember the Ashmores who used to terrorise the area?

Good days, good days....... but everything eventually changes but the memories still last.

i lived at no 183 st philips road..what fond memeories! used to go to meadow-street regularly especially to buy my 1 (old penny) duck from there.was born on st philips rd in 1950 and left in 1957.remember going to nursery at netherfield and then to st stephens school.used to buy broken custards from the bakery at the bottom of st philips rd as they were cheaper and remember the tripe shop on there which everyone bought..remember the corner shop as used quite often and especially the white hart as we lived directly opposite and my dad used to play the piano in there..used to sell fire-wood to neighbours when my dad chopped the piano up as we hadnt much money..then wed get another one which was given away then or an organ..

neighbours were so close a community and often doors left open..

anyone know edward street flats

yes i remember edward st flats back in 1950s..used to go to my friends house there when was 5 till 7yrs used to swing ourselves round the railings which had steps at the side leading up ..lots of great memories..

Hi Everybody!

Only just found this thread, so apologies for missing it on earlier visits to the Forum.

I was born in 1946, just off Hammond St. (Hammond Place), which itself was just off St. Philip's Road. These particular one up, one down slums (there was an attic, too cold and damp to use, and an off-shot tiny kitchen) were demolished in the mid- to late fifties - we moved to Firth Park when I was ten, into a three bedroom 'sunshine type' house and I had my own bedroom - it was like a palace!

Memories of the area are fading a little now, but here are a few that I can recall:

Many happy hours shopping "wi mi mam" on Meadow St., especially at Melias (their haslet was, and still is, the best I've ever tasted);

The excitement of "gooin' t'pictures" - remember The Weston, The Roscoe, The Unity, The Scala, etc.?;

Having my hair cut at Ted's (what was his surname?) on St. Philip's Road, sitting on a piece of wood which was placed across the arms of the barber's chair;

Playing for hours with my mates in Joe Beer's tyre stock - tyres used to be stacked up in columns and you could hide inside the stacks then pop up and 'shoot' the baddies!;

Exploring for hours in the bombed-out houses that were all around us, ignoring all the dire warnings about the dangerous conditions;

Watching my grandma sorting rags in the rag-and-bone man's yard (her name was Matilda 'Tilly' Wood, and she was the best rag sorter in Sheffield, apparently);

Watching (through the scruffy windows) the cutlers and scissor-makes etc., around Upper Allen St., with their furnaces and grinding machines.

My family name is Gray, and I can recall other families called Knight, Betts and Moffat and we used to visit friends that lived on Edward St. flats - the Stimpsons.

No doubt more memories will come to me, especially if anyone responds to this posting and gives me a few prompts!

Happy Days!

Joe

you l probably remember my elder sisters then as we lived on st phillips road and were quite popular then in early fifties..shirleen wendy sandra sheila commander? well im sylvia my dad was harry who played piano in white hart and mother may..remember weston and roscoe well..zorrro on saturday afternoon was a must! sylvia (commander then)

Shame, the last remaining 'oldie' on Meadow Street has gone.

This picture I took is probably one of the last ones of it...:(

CLICKY HERE FOR A FINAL LOOK AT THE MEADOW ST HOTEL...

arh! brings back such fond memories! remember being outside when 5yrs old ..pub full on saturday afternoon my dad arranging a first trip to cleethorpes between 1955 and 1957..

as usual join a thread towards end i lived bellfield st just up road1955-1958 then moved to firth park,went to st stephens infants,lived at 47 bellfield st dont know if it was called a court but it was a yrd with about 8 houses in,remember jimmy peacock,my cousin was killed trafic acc on st phillips rd when i were about 7 or 8 i always thought she got killed under jimmys horse and kart but my sis said it was a bus or a lorry , we use to play in the wrecked houses ,grand parents wher kirks use to drink in bellfield pub and meadow,mi dad were in army an when he came home so did he,remember co-op on fawcett st opp st stephens church wi air lines for y money,remember most bonfire nites on wrecks use to be about fifty -seventy people all stood round wi baked tatties ,chestnuts ,bonfire toffee what great times,like you all said great communities you cud leave y doors open an all sorts ,brill times for kids.

i lived at no 183 st philips road..what fond memeories! used to go to meadow-street regularly especially to buy my 1 (old penny) duck from there.was born on st philips rd in 1950 and left in 1957.remember going to nursery at netherfield and then to st stephens school.used to buy broken custards from the bakery at the bottom of st philips rd as they were cheaper and remember the tripe shop on there which everyone bought..remember the corner shop as used quite often and especially the white hart as we lived directly opposite and my dad used to play the piano in there..used to sell fire-wood to neighbours when my dad chopped the piano up as we hadnt much money..then wed get another one which was given away then or an organ..

neighbours were so close a community and often doors left open..

Pity my folks are no longer around Silvi (Mum died last year) I bet they knew you

Has anyone got any wonderful memories of this once beautiful street?

My Grandfather owned the betting shop at 119.

It was a brilliant place to live in the sixties ( that's when I was a boy )

every shop you could want was in two small streets, the other one being Netherthorpe place.

Ray Hudson still has a newsagent shop there.

any reminiscences welcome about my old street.

My name is Brian and I lived behind 119 then 117( it was a cobblers shop )

Hi to all in Meadow street history.. My Dad Joe Kenrick Had a bike(cycles and motorbikes later) At the bottom of Watery Street. It was called SMITHS 47/49 Infirmary Rd .Cnr Infirmary Rd and Watery st. Yes remember going up for a Pee at the most lovely wrought Iron Urinal..Yes I remember Watery street and Meadow street..Also the Cops from West Bar Police station chasing me over Scotland street back to the old mans shop.. I was the fastest thing on two 650cc twin wheels in those days. Wonderful days.. I remember, the Booths (two brothers) Charlie and Ernest..?? and the Ingels (Ingles)?? all resident in the area. Years??? 1950 ish.. Peter Kenrick

Mijco if your late cousin's name was Susan she was a friend of one of my sisters and the tragic accident would not have been on St. Phillips Road as there was no buses used it if I remember correctly it was on Glossop Road around 1957.

Silvi I can remember your mum and dad and your sister Sheila as I lived in Dover Street but the entry to our yard was in St.Phillips Road I lived there from about 50/51 until 66 when I got married. There was a green grocers next to the top corner of St.Phillips Road and Dover Street which my mates mum ran. One of my brothers George was the same age as you as he was born in 1950.

hi phantom i think it was susan 2nd name ludlam she would have been about 10-12 yrs old like i said i were only about 7 and always thought it was at bottom of st phillips rd