Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

... I'm trying to find out what I can about my husbands great grandfather who, as far as I know, owned a newsagents at 19 Netherthorpe Place. I think I managed to find a picture of it on the Picture Sheffield site so pleased with that so far!

His name was John William Bartholomew and his wife was Ann (nee Dixon). I have no idea of the time period they had the shop or any details really. My father in law has a painting that his uncle painted which showed the shop and that's where I've started really...

I imagine you already know this, but a John W. Bartholomew married an Ann Dixon in Sheffield in the first quarter of 1914. The 1901 census shows a John William Bartholomew, aged 24 and a "wood turner" living not far away with his parents Henry and Annie at 36 Jobson Road.

Hi docmel I think I must know you as I lived in the same yard as lttle "Harry" and I would be around 14 when he lost his life in the fire Doug who lived at the back of Harry's house was beaten back by the flames and it was lucky for him as all the floor boards had burnt away and he would have dropped into the celler as I recall he made several attemps to try and get in to harrys room before the fire bridgade arrived it is something that I can still remember after all this time

hi phantom309

yes the circumstances surrounding little harry's death were pretty tragic. i was told all the details by dougies stepson richard who used to be a mate of mine when we were at school. we all used to meet up on the red muck where we played football. in the summer the match would start in the morning and go on until it went dark. howard wilkinson the ex england manager used to come for a game quite often as he used to live on either hoyle street or jobson road.this was of course before he turned professional but he wasn't the best player by a long way.

Hi motty I will proberly know you then as I was a couple of years older than Richard and I used to see him later in life as he was lorry driving on car transporters but it must be about 25 years since I saw him last.Howard lived on Hoyle Street the entry to the yard was on Malinda Street, the boy you are thinking of of on Jobson Road was my best mate at school both Netherthorpe and Upperthorpe and played for England school boys the games on the red muck never had any disputes as I remember and there would be anything up to 20 odd a side.

hi phantom309

yes that's right there were often over 20 a side and as some went home for meals others would turn back up again.the best player i remember was john brookes , he never made it to the top in england but played in south africa for a while.he lived on dover street or netherthorpe street and used to spend hours kicking a case stuffed solid with old newspaper against the school wall to build his leg muscles up.

Hi docmel I think I must know you as I lived in the same yard as lttle "Harry" and I would be around 14 when he lost his life in the fire Doug who lived at the back of Harry's house was beaten back by the flames and it was lucky for him as all the floor boards had burnt away and he would have dropped into the celler as I recall he made several attemps to try and get in to harrys room before the fire bridgade arrived it is something that I can still remember after all this time

We lived in the Off License on St Phillips Road diagonally opposite the White Hart. I as a bit younger than you - used to play with Peter Bamforth, son of Harry who was the landlord at the White Hart.

I spent a lot of time on meadow st as a child,I lived there until I was 2 then again when I was 9 until being 10. I lived at 93 my aunts hairdressers,next doorwas sleznic a jewish tailor later to be replaced by Wilfred Croft. O nthe street was becks and there was a back street bookies, at the end was Gaughans fruit shop owned by my Great uncle.round the corner was the butchers,it was a good place too live. iwent to St vincents school

Has anyone got any wonderful memories of this once beautiful street?

My Grandfather owned the betting shop at 119.

It was a brilliant place to live in the sixties ( that's when I was a boy )

every shop you could want was in two small streets, the other one being Netherthorpe place.

Ray Hudson still has a newsagent shop there.

any reminiscences welcome about my old street.

My name is Brian and I lived behind 119 then 117( it was a cobblers shop )

My grandparents lived on Bonville St, I was christened at St.Annes. My father lived on Sudbury St, I remember rabbits and pheasants hung outside the fish shop, or was it a butchers? Also, the smell of vinegar from the processors on the corner!

hi carosio

what were your grandparents called. i lived on bonville street until they pulled them down. ( at No. 12 ) my mum used to send me across the street with an empty bottle to the vinegar brewery and the man who ran the place would fill it up from a huge vat for a couple of coppers.

Edited by motty
add more comment

the fish mongers with the rabbits and game hung out side would most likely be "fish Jacks" at the corner of Allen street and the end of Meadow Street when my Ma sent me for a rabbit she always told me to make sure the skin was left on so she could make sure it was a rabbit as they would skin them and cut them up for you but she said if it was whole she could be certain what she was getting was rabbit ha ha .

This thread is fascinating.

I was just searching on here as my great great great grandfather had a ginger beer shop on the corner of Daisy Bank. Originally George Bartholamew had the shop selling tobacco and coffee from 4am as well as ginger beer etc. My great great great (I think) grandfather Ward then had the shop and my father (Mallender) grew up there.

Just trying to get some more inf oor pictures. I have a fab picture of the shop that I am getting a print of and would be willing to email it to anyone interested. It has posters in the window of what was on at the weston picture palace and how much to get in etc. This poster was displayed in the window of the shop.

Great memories for my father from this thread thank you everyone involved.

Hi, I'm Herbiegrass and started this thread. I would like a copy of the photo if you don't mind, and if anyone else out there has any of Meadow Street or Port Mahon I would be happy to have copies. Thanks.:hihi: