Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

I am sure the road at the side of the Roscoe was called Jobson Road as my mate lived up there and I think the Dragon was on the corner of Portland Place and Infirmary Road I think it was a Tennents Pub

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out what I can about my husbands great grandfather who, as far as I know, owned a newsagents at 19 Netherthorpe Place. I think I managed to find a picture of it on the Picture Sheffield site so pleased with that so far!

His name was John William Bartholomew and his wife was Ann (nee Dixon). I have no idea of the time period they had the shop or any details really. My father in law has a painting that his uncle painted which showed the shop and that's where I've started really.

If anyone knows anything, however trivial, I'd really love to hear from you. My father in law doesn't really know anything about this grandfather and wasn't told much about him so anything would be a help.

Thanks for reading.

Kirsty

I am sure the road at the side of the Roscoe was called Jobson Road as my mate lived up there and I think the Dragon was on the corner of Portland Place and Infirmary Road I think it was a Tennents Pub

It makes me laugh how people remember what beer was sold at these pubs. It so reminds me of my dad, that what he used to do.

just to add to my post earlier. It seems like my husbands great grandfather had the shop at least between the dates of 1919 and 1925 so unlikely to have any memories popping up! But if anyone knows of anything or recognises the name then I'd love to hear from you.

only just joined forum and have great memories of meadow street. I was born in bonville street opposite saint annes church and lived there all my life until they pulled the houses down. I used to spend hours in ted beers tyre stocks playing in the tyres and on the old army trucks.my mum used to work in the chip shop owned by tommy and lyna brammer which was at the bottom of scotland street ,and tommy then took over the meadow pub.the urinal in the middle of the road was known as the iron duke.my next door neighbour jimmy used to play piano in the meadow and could play any instument you can name. i remember bodo as i was in the same class as his sister marlene at netherthorpe in the early fifties. last saw wilf croft selling scissors in chesterfield market last year.

You've just reminded me , I remember Croft's shop and didn't they have a son? I think my brother used to play with him.

only just joined forum and have great memories of meadow street. I was born in bonville street opposite saint annes church and lived there all my life until they pulled the houses down. I used to spend hours in ted beers tyre stocks playing in the tyres and on the old army trucks.my mum used to work in the chip shop owned by tommy and lyna brammer which was at the bottom of scotland street ,and tommy then took over the meadow pub.the urinal in the middle of the road was known as the iron duke.my next door neighbour jimmy used to play piano in the meadow and could play any instument you can name. i remember bodo as i was in the same class as his sister marlene at netherthorpe in the early fifties. last saw wilf croft selling scissors in chesterfield market last year.

I was a couple of years behind you at Netherthorpe I think but I remember the Tyre Yard and also an old factory/warehouse. We got in there one time and there were loads of small parachutes wich were greeat for us kids. had a great time jumping off wall with those.

can't remember wilf crofts son but i remember the shilling slipper baths. i used to hide my swimming trunks under my shirt and go for a swim instead. before the bookies opened on meadow street i used to take a threepence each way bet for my dad up an entry somewhere on meadow street and there was a man sat on the outside toilet with a board across his knees taking bets. does anyone remember little harry ?? the hunchback who lived on saint philips road . when he had been in the meadow at dinnertime jimmy peacock used to lift him up on the back of his cart and take him home. if kids today think they've got it hard try pushing a pram full of washing from meadow street up to the wash house on daniel hill and back at 10 years old.

Edited by motty
add more

I lived opposite the wash house, do you remember you got 30 mins hot water on the sinks for a shilling, the sinks were behind the washing machines. Do you remember the big pull out dryers, my mum used to burn her arms every week.

Hi Motty I remember the bookes it was in the yard with entry at the side of the dry cleaners across from Gebherds old shop before he moved to the other side of Ellison Street I recall taking a few bets to him.

can't remember wilf crofts son but i remember the shilling slipper baths. i used to hide my swimming trunks under my shirt and go for a swim instead. before the bookies opened on meadow street i used to take a threepence each way bet for my dad up an entry somewhere on meadow street and there was a man sat on the outside toilet with a board across his knees taking bets. does anyone remember little harry ?? the hunchback who lived on saint philips road . when he had been in the meadow at dinnertime jimmy peacock used to lift him up on the back of his cart and take him home. if kids today think they've got it hard try pushing a pram full of washing from meadow street up to the wash house on daniel hill and back at 10 years old.

Motty

i think its been mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to live in the off licese opposite where Little Harry lived - I have vague memories of the fire which sadly took his life

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out what I can about my husbands great grandfather who, as far as I know, owned a newsagents at 19 Netherthorpe Place. I think I managed to find a picture of it on the Picture Sheffield site so pleased with that so far!

His name was John William Bartholomew and his wife was Ann (nee Dixon). I have no idea of the time period they had the shop or any details really. My father in law has a painting that his uncle painted which showed the shop and that's where I've started really.

If anyone knows anything, however trivial, I'd really love to hear from you. My father in law doesn't really know anything about this grandfather and wasn't told much about him so anything would be a help.

Thanks for reading.

Kirsty

1925 Kelly's Dir.

19 Netherthorpe Place Mrs. Ann Bartholomew- news agent.