Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

On the other Corner opposite The White Horse was The Denison another good pub until its demise a few years ago.

On the other Corner opposite The White Horse was The Denison another good pub until its demise a few years ago.

One of my Dad's favourite watering holes in the 50's and 60's

It Was mine too I have never been in any pub like it during the last fifteen years it was open.Full of wonderfull characters,singers and Dancers.

Does anyone remember the Big Yard up from Meadow street at Upperthorpe, it was across the road from the Scarborough arms, there was a picture house (though i cant remember it) just down the road near the "slipper baths" where you could have a bath and wash your clothes. My grandma and grandad lived in the big yard, i can remember standing in the entrance as a toddler when the queen got crowned. ah lovely memories!!

I remember the picture across from the Scarborough Arms it was the Oxford I lived in Dover Steet opisite the White Hart on the corner of St. Phillips Road and Dover Street from 1951 to 1966 and we used to go to Oxford,Western and Roscoe as well as the Unity and Don which were all picture house's at that time

Got a phone call from Ron Clayton,had a chat about the good old days, hope to meet up with him sometime...

I remember the picture across from the Scarborough Arms it was the Oxford I lived in Dover Steet opisite the White Hart on the corner of St. Phillips Road and Dover Street from 1951 to 1966 and we used to go to Oxford,Western and Roscoe as well as the Unity and Don which were all picture house's at that time

We lived in the Corner shop jsut opposite you from 1953 to 1962 (ish)

Hi Docmel, I think I can remember you though I am a few years older than you but you are around the same age as one of my sisters we lived in the yard across from the beer off corner of St.Phillips Road and Dover Street but the entry was on St.Phillips there was a lot of us ,enough to have our own football team if we had wanted too.

I remember Cartledge's shop - the building is still there near the Upperthorpe baths.

I remember Blanchards on Infirmary Road. The assistants put your money in a tube and it disappeared along the ceiling to the office and came back with change and your bill in it.

Does anyone remember Barnes Place ? A large square of houses with the Dragon pub on the corner. It was opposite Gilpin street.

I lived on Meadow St. til 1953.

No one seems to have mentioned Golds. I think were sort of a hardware shop. They had a well kept monkey in a cage in the backyard, called Jennie.

The hairdressers, Golds, a bakery, a tobacconist and Esthers sweetshop.The urinal by the side of the phonebox and was there an icecream shop opposite this called Fantozzies. Fish Jacks and Gebhards.

I went to Netherthorpe school and am so pleased to have confirmation that we had afternoon naps. I have a faint memory - could see myself on a sort of stretcher in a classroom with other children. Thanks for that information.:thumbsup:

When you walked to the bottom of Hoyle St.- Opposite, in between two streets (top road and bottom road as they were known) they came to a point opposite the Roscoe Cinema - was there a pub there ? I seem to remember a phone box ? Was it a doctors surgery or a pub or both ? Anyone remember please

I remember most of the above, I lived opposite the wash house on Daniel Hill. I used to go to st nats church and I was in the cgb. I remember The Dragon, my friend's mum and brother used to go and call for her at our house to go home( I lived in the corner shop then on Cleveland Street ). I used to go swimming to the baths all the time and I also used the slipper baths where you got 30 mins of hot water for a shilling