Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Thanks for the photo herbiegrass ... fantastic. Did your grandmother live in the same yard?

---------- Post added 30-09-2015 at 15:39 ----------

Hi macstewart, I've still not got enough post to send a message, however, if you message me with your email address I'll send you a copy of the family picture. I also have a couple of photos of my grandmother and one photo of grand-dad (not 'Pops'). Hope Ann and Pat are both doing well, not seen either for a long, long time.

Thanks for the photo herbiegrass ... fantastic. Did your grandmother live in the same yard?

---------- Post added 30-09-2015 at 15:39 ----------

Hi macstewart, I've still not got enough post to send a message, however, if you message me with your email address I'll send you a copy of the family picture. I also have a couple of photos of my grandmother and one photo of grand-dad (not 'Pops'). Hope Ann and Pat are both doing well, not seen either for a long, long time.

Maud didn't but my other Grandmother Annie Wharton lived next door.

The name 'Annie Wharton' does not rings any bells with me, herbiegrass, but I would think, being in the same yard, that I would have met her.

---------- Post added 02-10-2015 at 12:10 ----------

Is it possible to pass your photo on too Ann somehow. macstewart

Hi macstewart, sent you an email with a couple of photos and some other info ... hope you've got it.

I remember as a kid my mum and dad worked at the grocers shop my dad was manager next door but one was wrays the butchers the manager was Roland Lee mum and dads best friend the whole community hung together never known any like it since.

I remember as a kid my mum and dad worked at the grocers shop my dad was manager next door but one was wrays the butchers the manager was Roland Lee mum and dads best friend the whole community hung together never known any like it since.

In 1966 I worked for HC Wray at Upperthorpe and Netherthorpe and knew Roland very well

He was a true gent.

Hi, my grandad has told me many stories about him growing up in Sheffield with Roland Lee as a kid. He's 92 now and always wanted to know what happened to Roland. His name his Donald Spooner. If you know any details about where he is now or anything as it would be a lovely reunion for my grandad. The last my grandad heard of him, Roland had gone into the navy then when he returned started working at the butchers. Thank you.

Luke.

Hi Luke - welcome to the Forum! :). Looking in public records for a Roland / Rowland Lee born in Sheffield, the only one of your grandad's generation is a Rowland Lee who was born in Sheffield on 19 December 1924 (there were two others born in 1900 and 1904). It seems, sadly, that this Rowland Lee died in Sheffield in 1997. He may have been the Rowland Lee who married an Ivy A. Beaumont in Sheffield in 1949.

hi sorry only just seen your post , sorry to say Rowland did die in 1997 at the time they were living at grenoside but I'm sorry don't know what happened to Ivy .my mum and dad and I went on holiday fairly often down to devon or London if we were going in autumn Rowland was brilliant real nice man, they had an adopted son called Andrew who must be 60 now Meadow street was great even as a kid I enjoyed going with mum and dad when they went to work,also had an auntie who worked in the café a couple of doors away from the grocers think that's all I can tell you good luck.

sorry to say Rowland did die in 1997 and yes he did marry Ivy they lived on Remington road parson cross when it was a nice area,they then bought a house on Stephen lane grenoside. My mum and dad often went away with them down to devon or London in the autumn he was a really great bloke nice to know they also had an adopted son called Andrew ,think that's all I can tell you good luck

Just seen the thread on Meadow Street, my Grandmother and her parents lived there in 1901.

My great grandparents - Sarah Jane and William Martin Gabbitass moved from Newark to Sheffield in about 1879 and were initially living at 7, Ct Meadow Street with their 5 children - they are there on the 1881 census.

I am wondering the layout of the houses and how big they were - sound like they were back to backs around a courtyard?  - "Ct" being short for "Court" ?

Edited by hedgehog

6 hours ago, hedgehog said:

My great grandparents - Sarah Jane and William Martin Gabbitass moved from Newark to Sheffield in about 1879 and were initially living at 7, Ct Meadow Street with their 5 children - they are there on the 1881 census.

I am wondering the layout of the houses and how big they were - sound like they were back to backs around a courtyard?  - "Ct" being short for "Court" ?

Number 7 to 23 was William Rowland Ltd in the 1950s but I don't know when this was built but as a kid it looked pretty modern so I suggest the old court houses could have stood here before this works was built.

This is the top end of Meadow Street starting from the bottom of Edward Street.