Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Yes I thought it was Nellie, well maybe they were related because she couldn't have been in two places at once. I'm sure docmel will explain, I remember his mum well.

Hi OK Nellie Melluish was my Grandmother - Edward Melluish was my Grandfather.

My father (their only son) was Nelson Melluish, his wife Margaret Melluish

I am Mark Melluish

We all lived together at the shop - until it was pulled down around '62 when we moved to another shop on Addy Street - that was the one referred to in a previous post

The link below is a picture of the shop on St Phillips Rd

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19225&pos=5&action=zoom&id=21774

I lived in Dover Street but the entrance to the yard was in St. Phillips Road Fawdry,s fruit and veg shop was almost opposite Melluish.s beer off I lived there from 50 to 66 when I married

Hi OK Nellie Melluish was my Grandmother - Edward Melluish was my Grandfather.

My father (their only son) was Nelson Melluish, his wife Margaret Melluish

I am Mark Melluish

We all lived together at the shop - until it was pulled down around '62 when we moved to another shop on Addy Street - that was the one referred to in a previous post

The link below is a picture of the shop on St Phillips Rd

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19225&pos=5&action=zoom&id=21774

Thanks for clearing that one up Mark, I'll be able to sleep tonight :D

Hi, I am new to the Sheffield Forum, in fact this is my first post.

I am researching my family tree and, whilst looking for aspects of my past/history, I came across this interesting thread about Meadow St.

Esther, of 'Esther's shop', was my aunty - always got sweets when I went to visit her, but the German shepherd dogs she had are some of my strongest memories, particularly one called 'Cloud'. He was a 'rescue' dog and he was BIG; he would let anyone into the house and let them fuss him BUT if you picked anything up (even if it was yours) he would go and sit by the door growling, showing his teeth and NOT let you out!!! In order to get out, Esther would have to take from you whatever it was you'd picked up and say to Cloud, "It's OK" as she handed it back to you ... he'd then wag his tail and let you go!!

My grandparents lived in Fountain Square (number eighteen), so next-door but one to 'peterw' and sharing the same yard. I can remember the bloke 'over the wall' kept pigeons and I would stand and watch him trying to get them back in after a race.

I have found a photo of Watery Lane, but I wish I could find I photo of Fountain Square.

I have a photo o Esther and my grandmother sat in the yard

I have a photo o Esther and my grandmother sat in the yard

Would love to see that, the only photo I have of Esther is a family photo, taken about 1917ish - so she would have been about 12. Approx what year is your photo?

Would love to see that, the only photo I have of Esther is a family photo, taken about 1917ish - so she would have been about 12. Approx what year is your photo?

My wife Ann would also like to see that photo of her Auntie Esther as we spent many hours in her company.

It would be early 60's I think

I lived at 255 St Philips Road when I was a child. It was not far from the garage near Joe's. I loved going to Joe's, he was always cheerful. My Mum and Dad were called Edna and Bernard Naylor, we left there in about 1971 ish, I have a sister called Gillian. Such great memories living there. Lovely to see this thread x

Esther%20and%20Maud_zpsygulenp3.jpg

Esther & Maud Damms

Edited by herbiegrass

Is it possible to pass your photo on too Ann somehow. macstewart

Esther used to look very glamorous when she went to St Vincents church on a Sunday morning. Us kids had to wait until they came out of church for her to open her sweet shop up.