Meadow Street S3 - Anyone got any memories?

Hi mijco yes it is the same person I did not want to put her surname up as even after all this time it can still cause distress as it is something that you never get over you only come to terms with how to live with it. I can recall my sister Pauline took it very bad and does not like it mentioned even now, I think they had been to Glossop Road baths but that may be wrong but it was afternoon when it happened.

my wife lived at 283 st phillps rd she lived with her gran and grandad hows name was bothamley they were builders and my wifes name was pat halliday andher mam and dads name was john and nelli halliday and she remembers going up an entry to put bets on for her dad she lived there from 1948 to 1955

my wife lived at 283 st phillps rd she lived with her gran and grandad hows name was bothamley they were builders and my wifes name was pat halliday andher mam and dads name was john and nelli halliday and she remembers going up an entry to put bets on for her dad she lived there from 1948 to 1955

The bets were put on up an entry on Netherthorpe place at the side of the cleaners and you passed them to some one in the out side toilet at the top of the yard

hi phantom you say your sis was a friend of susan she might know my sis she was same age as sue ,mal evans,it remarkable how things fall in to place my granparents were of bellfield st ,my wifes great gran parents were of meadow st and morpeth st but that was 1925 0nwards,most of my ancestral family were all from round this area after moving from london 1890s and from wirksworth in derbyshire round same time.

Hello everyone i have just found this website and i am new to this. I was born on bethel street in 1954 but moved to 89 Morpeth street soon after. mom and dad were george and florence smith alan was my older brother and pam my older sister. I used to hang around with young wilf croft, phil glover, chris bradley to name just a few.I remember bodo he was our alans best man i have some great memories of the best time of my life growing up in morpeth street.I used to deliver papers for joe and ray hudson,they knew everyone, also old wilf croft used to be like the local historian I have found this forum realy interesting and look foreward to contributing with the memories i have.

Come on then Morpeth lets hear them I can't wait,I know some of the Glovers.

Come on then Morpeth lets hear them I can't wait,I know some of the Glovers.

Stuart was an excellent footballer and a good mate a long time ago

Does anyone remember botts fishing tackle shop on the corner of morpeth street and netherthorpe street there was also the vinegar brewery on the corner of bonvill street and the old stables on netherthorpe street opposite morpeth street im sure they were for dray horses delivering beer they were derilict when i was a kid.I am also sure potty edwards had a shop on the corner of netherthorpe street and port mahon.Jimmy peacock was a fruit and veg man and when he came round all the kids used to feed his horse.I remember there used to be a chap who came round sharpening knives and a bloke who came round on a bike selling onions im sure he wore a beret.we were the last to move out in the slum clearences on morpeth street and they were demolishing houses around us when one of the galble ends fell on our house nearly killing my mom does anyone recall this

I can remember the fishing tackle shop used to use it regular and one or two people who lived on there in the 50s and 60s Alan who had a very light blond hair in the crew cut Mick and Pat who was a conductress on the buses and in the 60s Doug who was a bus driver

Does anyone remember botts fishing tackle shop on the corner of morpeth street and netherthorpe street there was also the vinegar brewery on the corner of bonvill street and the old stables on netherthorpe street opposite morpeth street im sure they were for dray horses delivering beer they were derilict when i was a kid.I am also sure potty edwards had a shop on the corner of netherthorpe street and port mahon.Jimmy peacock was a fruit and veg man and when he came round all the kids used to feed his horse.I remember there used to be a chap who came round sharpening knives and a bloke who came round on a bike selling onions im sure he wore a beret.we were the last to move out in the slum clearences on morpeth street and they were demolishing houses around us when one of the galble ends fell on our house nearly killing my mom does anyone recall this

Welcome Morpeth

I remember the 'Onion Man' - and yes - he did wear a beret with the onions on strings dangling from the handlebars.

..and Jimmy Peacock - last time I saw him must have been around 1984 - he had a small stall at the end of Weston Street, just by St Stephens church.

I was born on Meadow Street 1947 (No.3 I think), don't remember too much about living on Meadow St. But later my family had a cafe on Netherthorpe Place .

Myself & my brother went to Netherthorpe school, As did my father & his brother a decades plus before.

I remember stories of fighting families & my grandfather used to asdk things to calm down whilst my grandmother visited the outside toilet.