Blu-ray Firmware Update Essential??

I use a Blu-Ray player from a little known company called "Maxtek".

This player is one of those cases of a cheap, no frills products that actually has more ease of use and functionality than my parents top brand model.

Problem is, there is no website or support from the manufacturer. I've searched the model number and can't see it's one that's sold under many names....like the old Alba and Bush days.

I had a problem playing a movie from LoveFilm, and they asked me to make sure I had updated the software, but I cannot find anywhere to even check if there is any update. It was one disc, and is more than likely an isolated fault.

My question is, will the time come that the Blu-Rays being released will need a more up to date software in the unit to even play the film??? I don't mind missing special features as never watch them anyway?

Most of it is BD-Live or BD-Java that causes the problems but you could end up with unplayable discs unfortunately.

Can you connect it to the 'net? My Sony Blu Ray player checks for firmware updates automatically when its turned on. Maybe yours will, if its connected?

Yes it's absolutely essential, which is why I'd never recommend anyone buying a cheap Blu-Ray player without an Ethernet port or built in wireless so they can connect to the net to download firmware updates as soon as they happen.

I first had this problem around 2 years ago when my 1st Generation player which had no such capability encountered the Wall-E disc which it simply refused to play. After much faffing about, and burning a new firmware image onto a DVD-ROM I finally got the thing working, but it's too much hassle.

Get a new connected one, you avoid this pain in the backside and also have easy connection to all the online features such as BD-Live which otherwise are locked to you.

Thanks guys....

The players has an option for upgrade via USB but simply nowhere to download the upgrades from.

The unit also has online connectivity but does not have an option to update online....weird.

The unit was less than £50 quite a while ago, so not crying over it, but I appreciate your responses.

Thanks guys....

The players has an option for upgrade via USB but simply nowhere to download the upgrades from.

The unit also has online connectivity but does not have an option to update online....weird.

The unit was less than £50 quite a while ago, so not crying over it, but I appreciate your responses.

If it has Ethernet port put Ethernet in and it should update automatically

try digging out your user manual. should explain updates in there and should give you a website for firmware.

this is why you do your homework before buying things like this.

they are cheap for a reason and you might think your getting a bargain but you will always hit a brick wall.

i know money can be a problem but in the long run you would be far better off investing in a top end player.

to be honest you can pick up top end but old models for cheap money.

when it was my mum and dads wedding anniversary, she wanted to get him one but did not have the cash to go buy one so the only option was a catalogue. so i searched through the Kays (now K&Co) for a cheapish but decent one. each one i looked at i did some serious research on it.

i found a LG one wich was £80 and it had the lot, youtube and online movie streaming. but the biggest brick wall i hit was firmware updates. there was the site to download the updates and you could get them no problem but nearly every person on the net who had one was having a massive problem with failing to update over connection via the ethernet on blu-ray and also when they put the firmware on a memory stick, the player did not want to know the update. many complained to LG customer services and they basicly stuck 2 fingers up and did not want to know.

anyway in the end i found a Philips one which was £90 and read so much good feedback but the only downside was no youtube or online streaming.

but it let you update it via network or usb. it does full HD 1080/24p tru-cinema and you can play music, video and pics through a usb stick or external drive.

its a great little player for the price and we have had no problems at all with it and playing blu-rays.

always do your homework!!!

If it has Ethernet port put Ethernet in and it should update automatically

Not if it doesn't have the option. Even players that do this have an option to say whether you want this to happen. If there's no settings for this it probably won't do it.