Why do apple not suffer viruses ?

You would think hackers would target macs as the owners seem to have more money than sense :|

You would think hackers would target macs as the owners seem to have more money than sense :|

I was clever enough to easily get the money to buy mine.

But sadly not clever enough to get your sig right :(

Again shennigans...

Even tho it's from 2008 the point still stands:

We Build a PC to Match a Baseline Mac Pro

And for laptops

Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up?

Also there was a price comparison on Th Register this year, which pretty much came to the same conclusions, but seeing how the registers search is crap, I can't find it.

That's really strange, because if I look on Apple's website today, I see a mid-range laptop for £1549, basic price before any optional extras.

If I look on Dell's website I see almost exactly the same laptop for £649. Same processor, same screen size, same memory, same hard disk.

http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MD318B/A?select=select&product=MD318B%2FA

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n00q1534&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&model_id=inspiron-15r-n5110

It only takes a minute to do your own price comparison.

Or Java, Perl, Ruby and Python -all built in.

Full Unix terminal and it will even run Linux programs via X11 natively. Want to code in Visual Basic? No problem, that runs on the Mac too.

so I should pay an extra £900 on top of my next computer purchase to use a mac because it has some of the things built into most Linux distros (which are free), or as free downloads for windows (which is £900 cheaper than mac os) ... you're still not selling it very well. You should realise that Java, Perl, Ruby and Python, along with a unix style terminal are all totally free, usually, unless you buy a mac to run them on.

why would anybody want to code in visual basic? surely that's more of a con than a pro. if you're a masochist like that then you should love windows.

Edited by anywebsite

But sadly not clever enough to get your sig right :(

And so thick that you've lost me.

so I should pay an extra £900 on top of my next computer purchase to use a mac because it has some of the things built into most Linux distros (which are free), or as free downloads for windows (which is £900 cheaper than mac os) ... you're still not selling it very well. You should realise that Java, Perl, Ruby and Python, along with a unix style terminal are all totally free, usually, unless you buy a mac to run them on.

why would anybody want to code in visual basic? surely that's more of a con than a pro. if you're a masochist like that then you should love windows.

My remarks were directed at you saying that "proper work" can't be done on a Mac. Clearly it can because those and many other tools are available. Whether you want to code in VB is up to you, personally I wouldn't. The point is, it can be done.

But what is this "proper work" anyway? You ignored my last request for clarification of that point. As I said earlier, I run a business entirely on Macs.

That includes correspondence, book-keeping, payroll, appointments etc, etc. We consult with and design the production infrastructure for broadcast TV and video studios and put it all together on site for the client, as well as run a small studio of our own.

So, I'll get back to authoring this Blu-Ray disc's motion menus. Have a nice day.

Or Java, Perl, Ruby and Python -all built in.

Full Unix terminal and it will even run Linux programs via X11 natively. Want to code in Visual Basic? No problem, that runs on the Mac too.

They were developers I'm working with, as the dev team lead, not just some people I know.

And it's Java development were doing, eclipse runs on the mac and generally works just like on windows.

Like I said, I wouldn't pay the mac tax, I don't think they're worth the extra, but comments about being unable to work on them come from ignorance and aren't valid criticism.

Easy come easy go?

Just because it's easy to get hold of doesn't mean you should waste it.

You're straw manning now for all you're worth. Nobody claimed that a mac was worth extra for that functionality. The point was that you were clearly talking nonsense earlier about the mac only being useful for graphics and music.

Easy come easy go?

Just because it's easy to get hold of doesn't mean you should waste it.

There was no waste.

And that's the key to the whole thing isn't it. Personally I think the extra you pay for no good reason is a waste.