Does having 3 points on your licence affect your car insurance costs?

OK, I been a naughty boy, I got caught doing 79mph on a motorway and now I have a choice.

I can go on a speed awareness course or I can have 3 points on my licence.

If I go for the speed awareness course it will cost £85, however if I go for the 3 points it will cost £60 and 3 points.

On paper it seems the £60 is the obvious punishment, however if I have 3 points does this mean I have to pay more for car insurances premiums?

Obviously, we want to keep our household costs down, and the last thing we want is a silly hike in our insurance because of a minor speeding offence

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=82909

Hi All,

Simply put my car insurance was renewed 7th Jan 2010 (have been with the same company many yrs, up till now i had been happy), im 28 yr old with 7 yrs no claims, and no points, until now...

On Dec 29th 2009, I was caught speeding by a fixed camera, and only found out mid Jan that I was to be fined, when I got the letter in the post. They offered me a Speed awareness course or 3 pts, the course was far away from me, would have involved taking a day off work, etc. so I called the company up to ask how either would affect my premium, I was told that in this yrs premium there will be no change, but next yrs there may be some impact, and it would work out the same whether I attended the course or took the points, so I chose the points.

I called up today, and was told that my premium would be increased for this yr by £115 because of these points, when I had already done a few online searches of the scenarios of having 3 pts vs not having, and my premium was up just £45.

Am I now stuck with them for this full yr? and have to pay this additional £115, cos obviously at the time of renewal I didnt know I was getting points, and would have accounted for the points when I shopped around.

I cannot understand why anyone sticks with the same insurance company,your premiums will rise anyhow,keep changing them and you are classed as a new customer and get a discount.

I cannot understand why anyone sticks with the same insurance company,your premiums will rise anyhow,keep changing them and you are classed as a new customer and get a discount.

I don't think that you have quite grasped what this thread is about.

OK, I been a naughty boy, I got caught doing 79mph on a motorway and now I have a choice.

I can go on a speed awareness course or I can have 3 points on my licence.

If I go for the speed awareness course it will cost £85, however if I go for the 3 points it will cost £60 and 3 points.

On paper it seems the £60 is the obvious punishment, however if I have 3 points does this mean I have to pay more for car insurances premiums?

Obviously, we want to keep our household costs down, and the last thing we want is a silly hike in our insurance because of a minor speeding offence

I'd do the course, as someone else said if you accept the points and then you get stopped for speeding again it'll all start to add up. Hopefully, after going on the course you'll not get stopped for speeding again.

Some insurers will increase the premium for a few points, others will not. Some insurers now recognise that the police are abusing the system to extort money and thus do not penalise. If you would like the name of an insurance company that does not penalise for a few points, PM me. I chose not to do the awareness course as it would have cost me about £250 altogether.

Edited by Tardis

Not necessarily. Every year I shop around. For the last 4 I've been with Morethan. None of the comparison sites, direct line and others have come within £30.

I have got money off every year from Morethan and pretended/lied/fibbed (delete as appropriate) that I could get it cheaper elsewhere. Some loyalty discounts are bigger than new customer discounts

79 and you got 3 points?? where and how did you get caught??

Not necessarily. Every year I shop around. For the last 4 I've been with Morethan. None of the comparison sites, direct line and others have come within £30.

I have got money off every year from Morethan and pretended/lied/fibbed (delete as appropriate) that I could get it cheaper elsewhere. Some loyalty discounts are bigger than new customer discounts

Whilst I do not dispute your experience in doing what you say I can only state my personal experience of which I have carried out for years,some policies give out more cover than price deductions.:)

My experience is that most insurance companies don't increase premiums for 3 points, it becomes more of an issue if you have more though.

How did you get done doing 79 on the motorway? Was it in roadworks with a 50 limit? Seems a bit harsh.

I shop around and check insurance prices every year and Swift Cover have been consistently cheaper than everyone else for the last 7 years.

How did you get done doing 79 on the motorway? Was it in roadworks with a 50 limit? Seems a bit harsh.

Yes, it does seem strange, I've seen police routinely ignore people doing 80.

The new guidelines are 10% plus 2, making the lowest speed that you can be fined at in a 70 mph limit79mph , which is what he was doing. He has the option of a course at up to 10% plus 9. That is 86mph.

MOST police forces, though not all, have adopted these rules.

Edited by Tardis